Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Options of 3 man crew on residentials

I'm normally a 2 man crew but one guy who is a college kid is going back to school in 2 weeks. I have hired his replacement and will try to run 3 man mowing crew over the next 2 weeks. My hope I the new guy can get familiar with the properties while having the other two showin him the lawns.

I'be got mostly residentials and they average about 12000 sqft of turf.

What's the best way to route these guys?

1 mowing, 1 trimming, 1 edging with stick edger or trimmer. First to finish starts blowing, next spot sprays beds, last guy checks for sticks/pulls big weeds/blows??

Seems to be the most logical way to keep them out o each others way.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to say what we think because we can't see your properties, but when I have 3 guys mowing my resedential's, not a fan of the 3 man crew but right now I have some extre help so I'm just trying to keep everyone busy. But normally 2 guys run the z's while 1 trims and blows the walks if he beats the mower guys. But we all try to rotate to keep it fair.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After reading your post again seems like the spraying weeds and picking up sticks would be a great way to keep the extra guy busy and also make u some extra money too!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I'm normally a 2 man crew but one guy who is a college kid is going back to school in 2 weeks. I have hired his replacement and will try to run 3 man mowing crew over the next 2 weeks. My hope I the new guy can get familiar with the properties while having the other two showin him the lawns.

I'be got mostly residentials and they average about 12000 sqft of turf.

What's the best way to route these guys?

1 mowing, 1 trimming, 1 edging with stick edger or trimmer. First to finish starts blowing, next spot sprays beds, last guy checks for sticks/pulls big weeds/blows??

Seems to be the most logical way to keep them out o each others way.
You pretty much got it
That's how I do it with a 3 man crew on a single Res lawn.
I have groups of 3-4 lawns together So each guy picks a lawn and do it all
I run 3 mowers 3 trimmers 3 edger 3 blowers If one guy gets his lawn done first then he will jump and help the others. Some reason its always me helping, I guess I trim to fast.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

To improve quality, I would start 1 on weeds & sticks in beds, 1 edging, and 1 mowing. Then trimming, spraying, and blowing depending on property size/layout. It is a lot harder to skip the small details that make all the difference when you have to do them first.

When it is hot and your guys are ready to get home it is much to easy for them to say, "We can get the weeds next time, let's go."
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

this really depends on the efficiency of you're employees. for a while I mowed with a two person crew but last year we were able to really increase productivity with a third guy by running three mowers. most of my accounts are in clusters of 2-5 lawns so i would have each guy take care of a single lawn. whoever finished first would pick up the next lawn and the other two would help trimming/blowing. on some larger properties we would run two and in a few cases all three mowers. this year, one of the guys on my crew wasn't pulling his weight on the mowing so we're back to mowing with two.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator