Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

A blower truck would be cost prohibitive in my opinion....they experience a high amount of wear due to the stone blowing through the lines.

I would look into having the biggest trucks available, haul the stone to the closest redi-mix plant and have re loaded into the redi-mix trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Another way would be to get one of the old town dump trucks that has a salt spreader conveyor in the bed. I see them using it for topsoil etc. have you explored the concrete truck route? Hire two out and have them alternate

didn't check into the mix trucks but will today..

I did think about the v box spreader though, they could straddle the area to be stoned and drive away! thanks for the validation, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Dump it in as needed. Use a cement screed. Or get an electric vibrator, place on a 6ft 2x4 and screed by hand. Are you packing with a tamper?

i'll look into the screed, its just decorative stone so no tamping needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
A blower truck would be cost prohibitive in my opinion....they experience a high amount of wear due to the stone blowing through the lines.

I would look into having the biggest trucks available, haul the stone to the closest redi-mix plant and have re loaded into the redi-mix trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
there actually setting up a mobile batch plant on the site so this could work! gotta see what there rates are though..

thanks guys
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

6000 TNS is quit a bit, if you've got long stretchs and not alot of stop and go a Road Widner would be the the quickest and cleanist. You would have to talk to a local Paving contractor to rent one with an operator. A good operator could walk right through it and with some labors to touch up against curb and walk. Most widners will adjust to different widths. Road Widner theres no double handling just have your tri or quads dump right into it, spit it out and strike it off.

Somebody does make a road widner attachment for skidsteer but I'm sure renting one wouldn't be feasible.

Rock shooter will be way to messy.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might have a tough time finding a road widener that will handle a 6 foot spread. Maybe even look at having a paving contractor run it through a paver. They can drag along over an area like that with ease. Though the paving contractor may not want to run straight rock through their paver.....but you never know.

I think using the skidsteer bucket would be pretty time consuming to run 6000 tons through.

I really like the redi mix truck idea. Like it was mentioned, truck the rock to a redi mix plant and have them load it and short haul it to the job.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our widner with no extensions will do 3' and hydrualic extend out 6' no problem. I've ran 12' wide before. Most of your smaller pavers will only go down to 8', plus you'd have to put paver and trucks in between curb and sidewalk.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I was asking.

Our widener would only go to 3 feet, and we had no extensions to go on it to work wider. However, our smallest paver would extend out 6 feet per side. We used it to pave sidewalks while running along the road beside the curb.

Not sure if they had something rigged up to keep all of the flow to the box. I only laboured for a short time before I got moved up to the loader at the plant.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ive seen the side winders used on just for topsoil to meet the new edge of pavement, do you think they'll scuff up the new concrete side walk and curbs?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this like 10 miles long? 6000 ton is quite a bit.

Most guys around here do that type work with a excavator on wheels, dig it out of the truck and spread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVA_Concrete View Post
Is this like 10 miles long? 6000 ton is quite a bit.

Most guys around here do that type work with a excavator on wheels, dig it out of the truck and spread.
Posted via Mobile Device

pretty close, its a long street scape.. I wont be boxing it out or doing the prep work just fabric, landscaping and stone install
Old 07-14-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would take a good wheel loader and a grader, dump it in with the loader and kick the blade out with the grader to slick it off. then take the grader back through and clean up the road.
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul