Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

American Lawn & Landscape

Hey guys, i'm only 17.. 18 in about 3 months. I just bought a exmark ztr and have like 13 accts. Well heres a breakdown of my plan..
-I'm going to register with a business name this month with my county and advertise.

-Once I turn 18 find some business insurance, letter up my truck and trailer, hopefully expand.

-Then i'm going to get DOT numbers, etc..
What do you think? good plan? what else should I consider?

I figured i'd do a picture thread, I won't have many.. but i'll put some on. I just bought a new f150 fx4 as you'll see, and since my business is growing so is my equipment. I just bought a exmark ztr 48 inch. I love the mower, but I hate the payments. Before this I used to work on cars for my money, buying&selling and have always done a few lawns.. but I decided this year to take it to the next level. I graduate this year, right now im just using my grandpas small 5x8 trailer. I'm trying to sell my car hauler to buy a tandem landscape trailer. I'm hoping to get a plow truck too, I want to do more then just a few lawns on the side. I want to do this full time.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice to see someone from MI! I'm 19 myself, been in the biz since I was little, but started my own company at 18 right out of high school, and went full time this year and growing. So here's my 2 cents. Get an LLC. It will be your best choice as a solo operator just starting out. Your taxes won't be too complicated either, seeing as though you just file through your 1040. Once you get an LLC, get business insurance. You will most likely find a policy with a $2,000,000 aggregate. Once you have general liability, put that F150 under your business insurance as personal/commercial use. That will cover you if you get in an accident and have lettering/magnets on your truck. Next, get a business checking account to deposit your money made through the business, then, get some sort of software to manage your business (invoicing, deposits, etc.) like Quickbooks. Also, with the DOT number. You don't need one. Unless your vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs, or a GCWR of 26,001 lbs, you don't need one in the state of MI. It used to be 10,001 lbs, but they passed a bill last year that changed it to how it used to be.
Those are just some things I would highly consider if you want to go full time the right way.
Good luck to ya!
Oh and btw, what year is your F150?

Equipment/Work
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Cody! Never knew they changed the DOT law, that's good to know. I was planning on 2 million coverage. The f150 is a 2005. It wont upload pics for some reason of it, where in Michigan are you?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice man! Yeah the DOT thing was a pain. I got my truck lettered before they passed the bill and had put my DOT number on it, but then June came and they passed the new bill and I don't need it on there any more. I have an 08 myself but I'm looking at a new Super Duty at the moment. I need something to hang a plow off of but don't need a second truck. I'm in Livonia, but most of my accounts are in Canton.

Equipment/Work
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

How many accts do you have? a brand new super duty? a had a 01' 7.3 before this truck.. what a dam nightmare. It towed beautifully.. when it would run
Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 30 accts on the books so far. I had about 6 last year working out of the back of my truck. I'm about to bid on one HOA and one Condo Association for lawn and snow for next year. I'm also getting into irrigation, and slowly doing some brickwork. I learned everything from my dad, but he left the state in 2006. And yeah a new one, if not new then only a year or two old. I'm just going with a reg cab F250/350 with the 6.2 gas. I used a 2011 F250 with a Boss V-Blade to plow an apartment complex last year and loved it. Nothing fancy, but my 1/2 ton is getting beat up with all this work, and I need a plow truck. My dad has a 01' 7.3 in Arizona, and it runs great. Sometimes things just don't run like theyre supposed to!

Equipment/Work
Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah that's true. mine was worked really hard too. but for having 332k miles I guess it did its job just fine. I was actually looking at a landscape trailer in Livonia but I believe it sold.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh hell yeah man you got your use out of it! That's a good amount of miles to have on it. What size trailer are you looking to get?

Equipment/Work
Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

6x16 open, tandem axle with small sides and a drop gate. Or something around that area. Then put a tool box in it and stuff.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That will be nice. I want to go to a tandem next year. Probably a 6.5x16 or 18. My 12ft does what it needs to right now, but any more growth and I'll need a bigger trailer.

Equipment/Work