Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
That's good, as long as you have some experience. And actually it's not. You actually have to have it added to your truck under your commercial policy. Your business insurance covers any liability through your business for what your categorized to do (general landscaping) and then your truck should be covered through a commercial liability as well, however snow plowing is a different category as far as auto liability is concerned. Just talk with your agent to make sure it will be covered.
Posted via Mobile Device Snow and ice management is a completely different ball game, just make sure you go at it the right way
gotcha, I was gonna try and get everything into one policy. equipment, truck, lawn care coverage and plowing
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, that's exactly what you need to do! You'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looking good man, The one piece of advice i can give you as a young guy just starting out, Put EVERY penny you make back into the business. EVERY penny, Advertise,Advertise,Advertise. Get shirts made, get the truck/trailer lettered,make fliers and put em anywhere you can. Get some business cards made up, and buy all the equipment you can now while you still live rent free at home.

And i cant stress this enough, buy everything cash for the first few years, If you cant afford to buy it cash you probably don't need it. You don't want to be a slave to the finance company's.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot goldpro! That's what I'm doing pretty much. I have a separate bank account just for business money that I put it all into. I've got another 2 month's till I'm 18, then I'm going legal with a name & insurance. Then ill be able to advertise and make cards, etc. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Looking good man, The one piece of advice i can give you as a young guy just starting out, Put EVERY penny you make back into the business. EVERY penny, Advertise,Advertise,Advertise. Get shirts made, get the truck/trailer lettered,make fliers and put em anywhere you can. Get some business cards made up, and buy all the equipment you can now while you still live rent free at home.

And i cant stress this enough, buy everything cash for the first few years, If you cant afford to buy it cash you probably don't need it. You don't want to be a slave to the finance company's.
Listen to him! He's obviously been at this a lot longer than I have. I really wish I didn't have debt, but I deal with it. And I have to say that opening a business savings acct was my smartest business decision thus far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

here's my next dilemma. when I go to register my business once i'm 18, ill still use my address for my moms house in the city.. what about later? when I move into a different building, etc. is It possible to change the registered address through the county?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLawn&Landscape View Post
here's my next dilemma. when I go to register my business once i'm 18, ill still use my address for my moms house in the city.. what about later? when I move into a different building, etc. is It possible to change the registered address through the county?
Yes of course. If you become an LLC you can always change your business address. Make yourself the registered agent of your company and you can make changes through the county whenever you need to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok cool, when do you usually mow? Like what month till what month? When do I advertise for leaves? And how do you estimate snow plowing? Lol sorry the bazillion questions, just wanna start off on the right foot!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLawn&Landscape View Post
Ok cool, when do you usually mow? Like what month till what month? When do I advertise for leaves? And how do you estimate snow plowing? Lol sorry the bazillion questions, just wanna start off on the right foot!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sent you a personal message.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm just really confused on how to go legal at this point.
basically,

- I want a registered business name through the county as "American Lawn & Landscape"
- I need ins. about 2 million in coverage, to cover; plowing, lawn mowing, my equipment, and trucks, etc..
- I'm going to get a USDOT number, because I eventually want to get a dump truck, big equipment, etc..
- I want to do a lot of advertising after i'm legal
- I want to eventually hire people, and get workmans comp. I want a huge operation, that's my main goal
- I'm just confused basically at this point, how to go about everything; taxes, business accounts through the bank, managing my invoices and accounts, and contracts, etc.. I NEED HELP