Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-23-2007, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper Melting Fuses

Hey guys, I'm brand new here, not in the business but I have a 60" 2003 DC with a Kohler engine. The wire running from the voltage regulator to the starter solinoid where my battery cable comes in has a blade type fuse in it. I doubt thar's stock. This fuse keeps melting. Not blowing, but melting. I don't know how long it was like this since I got it. I replaced the 30 AMp with a 20 AMP, and when I looked later, it was melted too. I have had no problem with the mower until recently when I went to start it and the batt was dead. After getting it started it would only run a few minutes then die. I think I'm going to order a new voltage regulator, but any ideas on anything else I might check? The battery shows good and the system shows charging ( up to 15 volts).

Thanks

Engine: Kohler cv7455

Last edited by Medic Man; 06-23-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: adding engine model
Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic Man View Post
I doubt thar's stock.
That is in-deed stock on DC's and most others, And it should have a 30 amp fuse. I would suggest replacing the fuse holder, Water can get down inside the rubber and cause rust/corrosion and a bad connection thus causing heat build-up. Also use Buss brand fuses, Those Taiwan fuses are made with cheep plastic and will melt easier.
Also check the voltage regulator plug for rust/corrosion and the positive battery post on the starter.

If you are not getting over 15 volts from the charging system at the battery cables it seems everything is fine.

I believe your problem is a bad connection somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Many thanks. It just didn't look stock because the wires were different colors and it looked spliced in. The holder does look like crap, I'll replace it. Why does a fuse melt, but not blow? The wire gets really hot, I would think that it should blow that fuse. I'll get some Buss fuses and try them. Thanks again.

I have another question about a little sensor, but I'm going to wait to ask until I can put a pic on here.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heat in most cases won't blow a fuse but a short to ground will.

And, I'll bet your going to ask about a black over-sized pill capsule looking sensor with two wires coming out the top mounted to the blower housing just above the starter huh ?

If so that's a mercury switch that will kill the spark on the engine should you get on too steep of a incline or have a roll-over situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I know this is a very old thread but wondered if you ever figured out why the fuse melted? I'm having the same problem!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrsslr View Post
I know this is a very old thread but wondered if you ever figured out why the fuse melted? I'm having the same problem!
Replace the fuse holder and put a new fuse (same AMP as one taken out) in it when done. You can find the holder at Auto Zone it is nothing special just make sure it is rated for 30 amps. Just splice it in with heat shrink butt connectors.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc1025 View Post
Replace the fuse holder and put a new fuse (same AMP as one taken out) in it when done. You can find the holder at Auto Zone it is nothing special just make sure it is rated for 30 amps. Just splice it in with heat shrink butt connectors.
I have replaced the fuse holder as you recommended. But, I'm trying to figure out why I'm doing this a second time when I had a similar issue a few years ago. What CAUSES this? See my new thread here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=407205
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My kohler literally just started this the other day as well... takes about two weeks for.it to melt one...guess I'll replace mine as well
Posted via Mobile Device