Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2015, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advice!

How did the people that only work for themselves VS working a full time job plus landscaping do it? I am doing landscaping on everyday off plus sending people out while im at work and steadly picking up more jobs. I would love to only do landscaping but im scared to make the jump. But i will admit doing both is taking a toll on me. How did you face the " your dreamin' big" people or " you'll never make it" people? Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was in your position for years, then my employergot slow and let a few of us go one Christmas eve,that was my turning point, if you have enough work that you sent people out while you are at work,you will be ok,but from this point on its not going to be easy,i had two incomes,then once i only had one,the struggles began,the money worries, bills needing to get paid while you wait for people to pay you,its a hard decision,do what you love to do....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2015, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will share my story. I don't know if it will help but here we go.

I got married and decided my 35k/year wasn't going to cut it with a wife and kids in our future. I started the lawn business intending to mow 20 lawns on the side to provide a better lifestyle. My first season I had as many as 21 clients at one point and things were good. I could fit them all into 3 days by myself and the extra money was nice. I had created a website that brought in nearly all of those leads so I decided I might as well keep growing the business if people are going to keep calling wanting the work done.

Year two I started with 13 clients and did all the work myself. By August I had 43 clients and I was BUSY. Working a full time job and squeezing in 43 lawns made me tired all the time, a bit grouchy when I was home, and was mentally tough working 13 hour days day after day after day. I survived the year. That year I became way more focused on investing lots of money instead of providing a significantly better lifestyle than we were currently living. We were able to live a slightly better lifestyle than we had been, plus put 25k towards retirement.

Year three I started with 28 clients. Based on my previous growth I knew I could hit as many as 65 clients. My strategy going into the year was to hire someone to do the labor on their own while I was at my full time job. We did interviews and hired a guy. After 2 days we decided we had made a mistake and tried another guy for a couple days. I felt pretty hopeless like I wouldn't ever find anyone who I could trust to send out on their own. After talking with the wife we decided to cut down our travel time as much as possible by eliminating everyone outside of certain geographical areas. I would also find someone to mow with me every day. Between the two I could still maintain 60-70 lawns while hanging onto my full-time job. I am in year 3 right now, and I tried out a kid today to help me. I feel like my plans for this business have evolved over the years and my wife reminds me of that constantly. My long term goal is to throw 25-35k/year towards retirement so I can retire in my 40's. We try to go on a family vacation and a wife and husband vacation each year. It's kind of a nice getaway and reward for the hard work during the 7 months of mowing. I don't think adding the employee will help our situation with me being tired all the time, but it's the plan for now. We shall see.

Hopefully hearing about my life helps you relate to some extent.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

The "youll never make it" people are usually the ones that are unhappy with their life decisions so the answer is YOU DONT deal with them !!! I made the same mistake of listening to those ppl and I still regret it !!!
When I was in my early 20s my ex / childs mother hated me running a "lawn mowing" business always telling me how unstable it is. She pushed me away from it, and also being young its hard to be your own boss so I slacked off and eventually ended up w just a handfull of accounts on the side. Now 15 yrs later lawn mowing has proven to be my most reliable job. After years of bad experience working "real jobs" I decided I cant depend on anyone but myself and decided to go back full time.
What KILLS me is at 24ys old I was bringing in $1500 a week for like 25 hrs work one man team...and I let those voices somehow convince me that wasnt a "real job" !!! Now at 36 yrs old im trying to get back to where I was. Im only at about $800 weekly but its my first/2nd season back full time so im not discouraged. But I can also say once you make that jump to full time... you have no choice BUT to make it...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies, it helps me hearing your view/ stories. As of now my plan is to hold on to my " Real Job" as long as I can with the plan of dropping it in the future. Its nice having the two incomes to pay extra on the house and other expenses but it just gets pretty demanding doing both. I work 12hr swing shifts and when i'm on 3rd i get off at 8am and keep on rolling at times working 24hrs before i go to sleep. But it sucks hearing people talking negative all the time, just discouraging i guess. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1993 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, it helps me hearing your view/ stories. As of now my plan is to hold on to my " Real Job" as long as I can with the plan of dropping it in the future. Its nice having the two incomes to pay extra on the house and other expenses but it just gets pretty demanding doing both. I work 12hr swing shifts and when i'm on 3rd i get off at 8am and keep on rolling at times working 24hrs before i go to sleep. But it sucks hearing people talking negative all the time, just discouraging i guess. Thanks again!
Stop listening. You know how much you're benefitting. Soon they will notice newer vehicles, vacations,house upgrades. Nothing wrong with dual incomes either. It's called a plan b. I started on active duty in the military. Why spend my copious amount of off time drinking and wasting time. Make money while the mind is willing and the body able. Some day you'll wake up and it wont be that way. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I can relate a lot, I've been in the same position up until now. I was with the same company for the past 9 years and just had my last day on Friday. It was one of the toughest decision I've ever had to make..Its always been my goal to be able to be solely self-employed and I'm there, and to be honest I was probably there last year but I also had a tough time walking away from the job security...You know your numbers though, so don't worry about what anyone else says about it. I couldn't be happier now that I finally made the move, there's no other option than to continue to succeed!