Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got system designed for under 18gpm right now
.. I can always add.more zones if needed b but I'd prefer not to since I'm already at 10. How do u guys go about telling the customer that wants a bid for the system that u need.to do a pressure and flow test? How.much should that be charges or say u waive the cost of it if they buy the system.off.of you??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
I've got system designed for under 18gpm right now
.. I can always add.more zones if needed b but I'd prefer not to since I'm already at 10. How do u guys go about telling the customer that wants a bid for the system that u need.to do a pressure and flow test? How.much should that be charges or say u waive the cost of it if they buy the system.off.of you??
Posted via Mobile Device
How many others are bidding the job?

If none of them are pulling a test, why do you need to? That's what the owner will be asking you.

As far as getting paid for it, good luck. If you are bidding the job you should either know it of find the rates on your own.

In theory, when you bid a job your bid will reflect every foreseeable aspect of the job. Don't work that way but it sounds good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure how many are bidding it? I'm likely to be the only one being that there are not many installers here... and if the owner asks... I'm simply explain only when I test is performed... a proper design system can be made and to get the best available bid because no unforeseen circumstance should arise
and me not mark up my bid because of it.
As for my pricing... pretty much there is no "market" here for irrigation work. As far as competitors go so I name my price and do it for what I think its worth of my time..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just didnr know how u guys get away with this ans how u price em. Some down here have a set rate per zone. One competitor I seen on cl said $500 a zone.. I won't price that way... no way each job is different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Just didnr know how u guys get away with this ans how u price em. Some down here have a set rate per zone. One competitor I seen on cl said $500 a zone.. I won't price that way... no way each job is different
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a huge difference in T&M and contract pricing.

I installed a cycle stop valve today and the HO asked if i would install his system. I said NO, not what i do.

Story behind this is the system is trenched, trench's are full of dirt and need more than just a cleanup. 1500 ft of 1.5 main (i suggested 2.0 min) way over zoned and i think he will use MP3000.

I did tell him i would design and install the main, valves and wiring @ XXX and he could do the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Modern heads like the PGP made it possible to alter system flow rates on the fly, so you can almost always keep your zone count intact. The limiting factor in flow rates is the 3/4-inch poly between street and meter. Is it Iron-Pipe-Size or Copper-Tube-Size? Keeping velocity down means keeping flow rates down.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Modern heads like the PGP made it possible to alter system flow rates on the fly, so you can almost always keep your zone count intact.
Perhaps, but only if the zone was designed for it to begin with (i.e. allowance for radius changes).
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why guess at flow?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
why guess at flow?
what he said
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
why guess at flow?
I understand this but nobody has answered my question to reguarding about how you go about obtaining to get this info... that being said I know I need to go ahead and tap the main after the meter... but how do you explain this to the customer to allow proper design? Do u charge them for this? What happens.if they decide they don't want a system after this is done?
Posted via Mobile Device