Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Problem with Lazer Z HP hydraulics

I just bought a used Z (2007) with about 800 hours (maybe, but the meter wasn't working either, although it doesn't seem very used).

The right stick is sluggish. It doesn't have enough power to get up some hills, and is slow to respond, even though it does seem to load the engine more than the same left stick movement.

How can I tell if it's the pump or the wheel motor? It's got a Hydro Gear BDP-10A pump and a Parker/Ross wheel motor (not sure which one).

Should I just take off a wheel motor and stick it on the other side to see which one is bad? Is there an easier way?

Thanks! BTW, I'm new to the forum.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Before you start takin it apart....
Put a magnet in the hydrotank and see if it picks up any metal shavings..
Loosen and retighten the control arm that attaches to the pump shaft..if its loose..its sluggish..
Old 06-24-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple of things to check: Is the brake releasing on that side? How about the bypass valve, is it fully closed? How about the belt/idler? Could be slipping due to idler binding.
Man, that's a LOT of work to do, I'd call around and find me a shop that can do a flow check. Doesn't have to be an Exmark dealer, as the pump and motors are pretty common.

......AMF!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Brake releasing? That's a great question. I think so, because I can push it myself slowly, but I'll check.

Bypass valve is fully closed. I haven't checked the idler, but I did check that the pulley is not slipping on the pump shaft.

Flow check? They put some sort of gauge in line with the motor?

I checked the pump arm, but maybe not completely enough (I checked that the bolt was tight, and it doesn't _seem_ loose on the shaft, but I'll check again.

The magnet idea is a great one. I wish I had done that before I bought it. I'll let you know what I find.

These are great suggestions, thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

The brake does seem to be releasing.
The idler is O.K. It's plastic too, so I'd think if it was binding it would burn up pretty quickly.
The pump control shaft is tight.

I put an extending screw retrieving tool (telescoping magnet) into the oil reservoir and moved it around the bottom several times, and thankfully no shavings to speak of. There was enough residue to collect on the magnet, but nothing I would consider shavings.

I wonder how any shavings would get there though. It has to pass through the filter before it gets back into the tank, so I'd think the filter would catch pretty much all of it, unless the filter got plugged or broken.

I guess I'm back to the flow check?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Kman...the fluid goes from tank to the filter..then to the pumps...then to the wheelmotors..then back into the hydrotank..
Thats why the metal accumulates in the hydrotank..
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman91 View Post

I guess I'm back to the flow check?
I would. Its the only sure way to tell.

......AMF!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Ahh, my mistake, you are correct.

It makes me feel better that there's no filings in there, but I'm thinking I should still stop using it until I figure out what's going on.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman91 View Post
I just bought a used Z (2007) with about 800 hours (maybe, but the meter wasn't working either, although it doesn't seem very used).

The right stick is sluggish. It doesn't have enough power to get up some hills, and is slow to respond, even though it does seem to load the engine more than the same left stick movement.

How can I tell if it's the pump or the wheel motor? It's got a Hydro Gear BDP-10A pump and a Parker/Ross wheel motor (not sure which one).

Should I just take off a wheel motor and stick it on the other side to see which one is bad? Is there an easier way?

Thanks! BTW, I'm new to the forum.
Dear Customer,
Flow testing the pumps it's a good start, it will tell you how well (or not) they are performing. If the pumps check OK, then you can suspect that the problem could be in the wheel motor. Itís very unlikely that the problem are going to be both, pump and wheel motor, unless there is a catastrophic failure in the wheel motor, in which case you will have no drive what so ever.
Also because you don't know about the maintenance history on this unit, a hydro oil and filter change may help.
Hope this help you out.
Service Team
Exmark Manufacturing
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply!

Why would a hydro oil and filter change help? Unless there's some possibility of air in the line (which I would assume would eventually flow out), I can't imagine changing the oil and filter and it getting better?

Tags
exmark , hydraulic , lazer z , pump , wheel motor