Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One of my fears...

We do a lot of roadside trimming by main roads and busy US highways. We wear safety orange shirts mow/trim facing traffic, but still yet, you can't help stupid... I can't count the number of times I've been buzzed by a tractor trailer doing well over the speed limit.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/22671077...ughter-charges

PIKEVILLE, Ky. -

A Pike County man is dead after being hit by a car while cutting his grass Saturday.

William D. Damron, 48, was driving on US 460 when he lost control of his vehicle dropping off the shoulder hitting and killing 35-year-old Donald B. Castor, according to a Kentucky State Police media release.

Damron's vehicle traveled 500 feet after running over Castor before coming to a stop. Castor was pronounced dead by the Pike County Deputy Coroner.

Damron was taken to Pike County Detention center with charges of DUI, manslaughter, driving without insurance and expired registration.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like how they say the driver lost control of his vehicle at the beginning. Then at the end of the story they mention he was DUI.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I gave up a good customer from last year because her yard has a ditch in front that I had to trim. There is no shoulder at all, I had a few scary last year and dropper her this year. It's just not worth it.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For me it's not just tractor trailers, but everybody. I do not understand why people can't just move over a foot or two. This happens a lot. When I see someone on the side of the road I instantly adjust my line so I move out and away from the person. I also slow down. It only takes a split second for someone to trip and stumble or even for me to have a blowout. Do we plan on these things happening? No. But you can reduce the chances that a tragedy could occur in the event that something does happen. And the worst part of it for me, is the FACT that year after year, the drivers of my county are the worst in the state. They have more accidents per million miles driven than any other county in the state.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a few close calls trimming a ditch of a busy road for a brush clearing I did recently...my brother joked at me forcing him to wear a Class III vest until he saw how close we were to traffic at 55+ mph. Like Richard when I'm driving I give as much room as I safely can to people on the side of the road (I know how it feels to have big trigs pass you at 75mpg after you have to pull on the shoulder of the interstate...not fun) And in VA by law, you must move over even to amber lights...which thankfully my trucks has. Stay safe and be ready to move in a hurry!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple houses right along 45's and when im trimming im rediculously scared. Its right near a rock distribution center too, tri-axles doing well of 55 flying by.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have one commercial in a 55mph zone with about 250' of road frontage that has to be trimmed and no guardrails. I sometimes think people try to get as close as they can. Most of the time the truckers respect us. It's the teenage boys/girls in their jacked up trucks and Mitsubishi Eclipses and Toyota Celicas that have no respect.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Scary stuff. On top of all that, how about the occasional a-hole who gets right along side and honks the horn. That's always nice!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I swear to god that cars are drawn to orange vests as if they were magnetic.

I was trimming along a busy road and couldn't believe how many cars seemed to drift toward the berm as they drew nearer. It was obvious that they weren't just doing it to be pricks, it was just that they simply seemed attracted to the brightly colored dude at the edge of the road.

I have a regular client that has a lawn that is elevated about 10' above the road. the edge along the road has a steep slope down to the street and is too steep to stand on at all. I walk along the top cutting as far down as I can reach with the trimmer and then I need to go down to the street to reach "up" and trim the rest. The length is fortunately only about 50 feet, but there is literally only a few inches of grass and the narrow curb to walk on as I go.
I wear a vest and I put a cone on the street, forcing traffic to move over. (and slow down/stop if cars are coming the other way)
I'm only doing this for a few minutes, so screw them if they feel inconvenienced by the cone.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We maintain an entrance to a Highschool. I was trimming along the road, walking the grass facing the street. I had a safety orange shirt on. I just happen too look up an see a SUV crossing the white sideline heading right for me. I could see the driver on her phone. She hit the curb right where I would have been had I not looked up. As she passed the smacked the trimmer into her passenger door.

She called the police. Cop gave her a ticket for failure to yield and careless operation. Cop told her the damage caused by the trimmer( put a nice dent) was road hazard.
Posted via Mobile Device