Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

130 hr, with a 3 hour minimum is what i do for jobs that want an hourly rate, for the clean up, for bobcat or mini excavator work+tax and i have no rental fee, just have to put diesel in the machines and get them going but they don't take much oil changes and tires are peanuts compared to what you can make with them....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

If I were you I would pass on this one. Just reading your posts it's pretty clear you are way out of your comfort zone for this type of project. You also didn't specify exactly what he wants done. Is it just one flower bed, or is it several all around the house? How many obstacles will be in your way when digging that close to the house, water lines, septic, electric etc.

There's just so much more that goes into a project like this that it's immpossible to tell you what to charge because what may cost me 3500 in equipment and materials may cost you more or less. Then you have to decide how much you want to make as a profit.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes i would take that job, i personally would have that place cleaned out in 4 hours on my own with a bobcat and my dump trailer, and topsoil delivered and beds formed and lined with cobblestones, and just have to wait on what plants the customer wants, then those would go in and get mulched or stone put in and done. could be done in a day with 2 guys easy. depending on how big you make the beds determines how much your gonna charge and how much you will ultimately profit. i would figure you could charge 3000-4000 and have 1000 in expenses tops for 1 day rental, the roll off, plants, topsoil, mulch or stone, cobblestones.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
yes i would take that job, i personally would have that place cleaned out in 4 hours on my own with a bobcat and my dump trailer, and topsoil delivered and beds formed and lined with cobblestones, and just have to wait on what plants the customer wants, then those would go in and get mulched or stone put in and done. could be done in a day with 2 guys easy. depending on how big you make the beds determines how much your gonna charge and how much you will ultimately profit. i would figure you could charge 3000-4000 and have 1000 in expenses tops for 1 day rental, the roll off, plants, topsoil, mulch or stone, cobblestones.
You also know what you are doing, makes things a little easier and a lot less expensive for your costs. But we still don't know what exactly this homeowner wants done. I will say I'm jealous of how cheap you can get stuff in CT. Just the skid steer would be 400 for the day around here, roll off 350, topsoil 300 for a triaxle and so on.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokis View Post
100 an hour plus the rental fees right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah. And definitely take the job. You'd be stupid not too. You say you have experience operating the machinery so I don't see why anyone would think you're "out of your comfort zone."
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can get the roll offs for $150 each. This is just for transporting dirt, mind you.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippit96 View Post
You also know what you are doing, makes things a little easier and a lot less expensive for your costs. But we still don't know what exactly this homeowner wants done. I will say I'm jealous of how cheap you can get stuff in CT. Just the skid steer would be 400 for the day around here, roll off 350, topsoil 300 for a triaxle and so on.
prices in ct aren't too far off...it depends on who you know too, i can get a triaxle of topsoil for 200 delivered, and that's 18 yards. not sure about the roll off, never needed one, but my dump trailer will hold 5 tons of material so a few trips with that the areas for the beds would be fresh, and not having to rent a skid steer is nice, mulch is 20-30 dollars a yard 30 is for the nicest 100% hemlock. that's straight from one of the distributors here in ct. that job is really cake, and having over 13 years experience helps. but yah more info is needed to accurately price this job.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokis View Post
so 150 an hour would cover the 1 day rental cost, delivery, and diesel along with my pay right?
No. Its just a guess estimate. You have to figure out rental costs on your end & add your hourly rate, etc. You'll only need the back hoe to prep the ground. After that, charge a lower hr rate like the $60 per hr u quoted. If client will let you dump the dirt on his property, that will save him $. I suggest using a back hoe because you can dig it out with the hoe & relocate dirt with the loader.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, in the first pic, it appears that a line was installed along the side of the home and it looks like the trench wasn't compacted. I could be mistaken but thats what it looks like from the pic. If this is the case, whatever equipment you use, I would take care not to break what ever they put in the trench because the dirt look soft
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

alright guys, i think im going to take it. Planning on renting a bobcat or a dingo for about $180 a day. Digging up the beds (all around the house) and relocating material to another area (maybe where some erosion occurred, or if he wants to level out some of the land). Filling the garden beds with top soil and then plants and mulch.

So im thinking that this should take about 8 hours ( one day rental ) about $190 --------- $25 an hour
plus my hourly rate and my helpers rate. ---------------------------------------------------- $95 an hour
plus fuel ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ well say $10 an hour
Plus the use of my trailer and materials ------------------------------------------------------- $30 an hour (if i even use my trailer to hull the dirt)

still not sure weither to get the dingo or the bobcat...... the small bobcat would do the same job as the dingo but the bigger bobcat would tear all the surrounding grass and everyitng up. I suppose if he wants other work done ( filling his drive way with stone then I should go with the bobcat.)