Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Funny, for many years I fought with my customers over this very issue.

They all wanted more time between cuts, I always wanted less.
Unfortunately I found they were right, too many cuts in the heat kills the grass.
Because rain or not when the temps hit 90 to 100 you have to be very careful how short or how often you cut.
There is little argument with a customer when their lawn is dead, they come out and tell you how it is and you're not cutting and that is that.
Some Lco's might think that's great for September to "refurbish" the lawn but I can tell you when customers see that kind of thinking it doesn't work out so good.
I'd get my money in April, May and June, then I'd sit around most of the summer hoping anything would grow at all.
A very few of them would get me to aerate and seed, most were like, you can still cut it and be glad we're letting you.

One day it hit me, I raised my cut height to 4 inches.

Now I mow lawns as they need it, which is when the grass gets to a healthy height.
The only argument I get into today is that I'm not coming out often enough.
Works for me, now the money comes steady.

Last edited by herler; 06-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My schedule offering:
The crappy lawns and centipede are usually every 2 weeks, some are weekly
Irrigated and/or fertilized bermuda or zoysia every week.
Commercial = every 7 days and every 14 days during the winter or I'm not interested.

90% of our accounts are weekly. Not hard to sell. Give a better rate to do weekly may be a way for you to encourage them--its faster to do every week...faster mow, faster edge, faster bed detail, etc. I have a higher rate for every 2 week service than for weekly.

I don't offer 10 days--You can't build a tight route with 7 days 10 days and 14 days. If someone calls and asks for service every 10 days, I ask them if the lawn is irrigated or fertilized and what type of grass. If the answers include yes and bermuda or zoysia, then I bid for weekly service.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Funny, for many years I fought with my customers over this very issue.

They all wanted more time between cuts, I always wanted less.
Unfortunately I found they were right, too many cuts in the heat kills the grass.
Because rain or not when the temps hit 90 to 100 you have to be very careful how short or how often you cut.
There is little argument with a customer when their lawn is dead, they come out and tell you how it is and you're not cutting and that is that.
Some Lco's might think that's great for September to "refurbish" the lawn but I can tell you when customers see that kind of thinking it doesn't work out so good.
I'd get my money in April, May and June, then I'd sit around most of the summer hoping anything would grow at all.
A very few of them would get me to aerate and seed, most were like, you can still cut it and be glad we're letting you.

One day it hit me, I raised my cut height to 4 inches.

Now I mow lawns as they need it, which is when the grass gets to a healthy height.
The only argument I get into today is that I'm not coming out often enough.
Works for me, now the money comes steady.
Learned that long time ago
Like this week Im not dropping decks down. We are getting rain but its like a oven out there.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate all you guys info!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How often do you mow your residential accounts?

I offer 7,10 & 14 day. It's what ever the customer wants because they are paying me. And I charge for it.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

7, 10, and 14. those that want every 2 weeks I charge more and explain to them the benefits of weekly in spring, but that when it gets hot if it doesn't need mowed i don't mow it. some yards i'll go 3-4 weeks without mowing if we get a really dry spell. most are good with it when you tell them that. this spring saw extremely fast growth, i had several switch from 10 days down to 7 even because it was getting too tall, and even the 7 day lawns were almost out of control
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

10 really isn't that bad to schedule, i do mine on a 9 and 11 day rotation. say i mow on monday, i mow again the following thursday, skip the next week, then monday again. keeps my weekends open. i'm a part timer though and fortunately only a couple yards are 10 days. with a full schedule and lots of them i could see it being a pain.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As mother nature dictates. Raining with mild temps? 5-7days. Hot and dry? back off a bit. Every season is a bit different-normal years see 4-5 cuts, maybe 6, (monthly) through the early months, with a gradual decrease in mid-summer. This last week of June is on it's fifth cut for most clients.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

April, May and June most lawns around here need mowing every 3-6 days. As it heats up and dries out in late July and August anyone w/o a sprinkler needs it every 10-14 days. Which is fine with me because when it's that hot out (like it is now) I don't want to be outside that much. I use a WB and am solo so I can do two lawns an hour in the spring. When it's this hot my pace drops to around 40-50 minutes per lawn. I'm working harder for a lot less $.

All the threads about "how much do I charge?"... It seems like we're all priced too high when the temperature is 70, but trust me, no one is offering to up our rate when we're getting beat up in the heat and humidity on 100 degree days.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

All of our customers are weekly.

We have a group of 5, which are all at the same stop, that we cut the fronts twice a week during the peak growing season.