Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
i have one i used to use as well, its a vibrating, low on power POS.
You must of had a lemon, mine doesn't vibrate and cuts like crazy.
Husq Blower
Ford F250 7.3 Diesel
5x14 Trailer
In God We Trust!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOperator View Post
You must of had a lemon, mine doesn't vibrate and cuts like crazy.
use a solid shaft model and then tell me that it doesn't vibrate. i didn't realize it either until i bought a solid shaft trimmer. sure it'll cut normal weekly growth just fine, but get into some thicker stuff or heavy wet spring growth and it is down on power compared to the commercial trimmers. it is one of stihl's ''homeowner'' offerings not their commercial line. plenty of other trimmers out there of similar weight that are built far more robust and have more power
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
use a solid shaft model and then tell me that it doesn't vibrate. i didn't realize it either until i bought a solid shaft trimmer. sure it'll cut normal weekly growth just fine, but get into some thicker stuff or heavy wet spring growth and it is down on power compared to the commercial trimmers. it is one of stihl's ''homeowner'' offerings not their commercial line. plenty of other trimmers out there of similar weight that are built far more robust and have more power
I cut slow with mine making nice even swaths and have no issues. But I will try dogging it tomorrow and see if it vibrates. Honestly I am trying to take it easy on it till I can buy the 90R. If he wants the best I would go for the 90R but I thought he was a homeowner and wanted something light. And as far as other trimmers I am biased on Stihl. I also like RedMax but I prefer USA made equipment. I don't like Shindaiwa and hate Echo (no disrespect intended) had bad luck with them.
Husq Blower
Ford F250 7.3 Diesel
5x14 Trailer
In God We Trust!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOperator View Post
I cut slow with mine making nice even swaths and have no issues. But I will try dogging it tomorrow and see if it vibrates. Honestly I am trying to take it easy on it till I can buy the 90R. If he wants the best I would go for the 90R but I thought he was a homeowner and wanted something light. And as far as other trimmers I am biased on Stihl. I also like RedMax but I prefer USA made equipment. I don't like Shindaiwa and hate Echo (no disrespect intended) had bad luck with them.
The Husky 323 and 326 will do anything the 90R will, and do it with less weight and much better/smoother trigger control. I own a 90R, so it isn't that I'm against them. Just telling it like it is. The 90's are notorius for being hard to feather the throttle up and down smoothly, and for good reason- they are.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Fs90 Trimmer review

I bought mine 2+ years ago, use it on 10+ homes a week. Stihl equipment: I own the BR500 backpack blower (Awesome machine), the commercial grade edger(awesome), homeowner model bush trimmer (Awesome) and the hand held homeowner version blower (awesome).

Now, to the FS90R Weed whacker/Trimmer. Biggest piece of crap EVER. I have had starting issues since day one, finally figured out that using the primer bulb, at all, floods the engine. Now that i can start the thing, it is hard to keep it running smooth, wants to stall and run erratic. Today, I am having trouble getting line to extend by bumping. I look at bottom of head, it is cracked and worn down. I have a cheap-o weedeater brand, $60 hunk of junk that out lasted this $349 Terd. I love Stihl equipment, but this trimmer has me really po'd. Nothing worse than picking up a trimmer to do a quick trim and move to next spot and the trimmer wont START! Now, the line issue pushed me over the edge. I will never buy another Stihl TRIMMER.

It is great when it runs at top speed and everything works properly, but that is so rare, I forgot what that feels like. At this point, I am limping this thing along, until i buy a different trimmer.

Every other Stihl I own is awesome. Maybe i got a lemon, I am not sure, but the string feed issue is new and looks like it could be time for the trash heap, minimum a costly repair. My .02 worth. I wish i would of went home owner grade on this unit and bought 2.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterJohn View Post
How is the Stihl FS 90? Price is a secondary issue....I want to get it right the FIRST time!
I had fs110s last few years, this year I bought the 90. First year with it, it seems fine but is not near as snappy as the 110 is. I can't tell the weight dif between the 2. The fs55 is not bad for the money(I demoed 1 several years ago) but if you want power and can carry a larger unit get the 90. I don't regret it but there are times we ignore areas for a few weeks and when we get back in there the 110s are what we grab. I couldn't live with a 55. I mow big acreages and the helper does the trimming. He uses the strap when he walks from a to b so he doesn't have to carry. Gets where he's going and takes it off the strap.

The echo is a puss-puss motor and I don't know anything else worth having.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

if i remember Makita was made by sacks dolmar ..
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Update, I took the head apart, determined how/why the trimmer would not release string when bumping. The center of the head, has the area that bumps, inside the unit, there must be enough space for the center to go up inside enough to clear the side plastic stops. I determined something must be keeping the center from moving up and clearing the stops.

I took out the trimmer line spool, looked inside, where the spring is located(2nd time i did this). The first time i must not of cleaned it up enough, or properly. On the bottom of the cavity, there was so much dirt build up, the center could not DEPRESS enough to release the string. Scraped with a screwdriver, dumped out dirt....Presto! STRING IS FEEDING AGAIN. (Insert big smile here).
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta8erSalad View Post
I bought mine 2+ years ago, use it on 10+ homes a week. Stihl equipment: I own the BR500 backpack blower (Awesome machine), the commercial grade edger(awesome), homeowner model bush trimmer (Awesome) and the hand held homeowner version blower (awesome).

Now, to the FS90R Weed whacker/Trimmer. Biggest piece of crap EVER. I have had starting issues since day one, finally figured out that using the primer bulb, at all, floods the engine. Now that i can start the thing, it is hard to keep it running smooth, wants to stall and run erratic. Today, I am having trouble getting line to extend by bumping. I look at bottom of head, it is cracked and worn down. I have a cheap-o weedeater brand, $60 hunk of junk that out lasted this $349 Terd. I love Stihl equipment, but this trimmer has me really po'd. Nothing worse than picking up a trimmer to do a quick trim and move to next spot and the trimmer wont START! Now, the line issue pushed me over the edge. I will never buy another Stihl TRIMMER.

It is great when it runs at top speed and everything works properly, but that is so rare, I forgot what that feels like. At this point, I am limping this thing along, until i buy a different trimmer.

Every other Stihl I own is awesome. Maybe i got a lemon, I am not sure, but the string feed issue is new and looks like it could be time for the trash heap, minimum a costly repair. My .02 worth. I wish i would of went home owner grade on this unit and bought 2.
A stihl primer pulls fuel through the carb, it does not put fuel pressure to the carb it de-pressurizes it. No way it should have done that.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My 90R starts first pull, and runs great after two years of use.
Closed Thread