Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My 90R has performed flawlessly! It does great with attachments as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out the fs100rx. Has just about as much power as the 110 and is lighter then the 90. It does have a hallow drive shaft, and if you run as much line as we do, you will break it eventually. Stihl does replace one under warranty once a year though and I've never gone through more then that. I've run the fs 130, 110, 100, 90, 55, husky 223, and just about every echo, redmax, and shindy trimmer out there. Imo nothing compares to the 100rx. Once you get a taste of the tourqe combined with the lightweight head, its hard to ever look at anything else again. It has enough power for anything you'll ever encounter and yet its still light enough to trim with for 7+ hrs straight (something that's not so easy with a 130).
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
use a solid shaft model and then tell me that it doesn't vibrate. i didn't realize it either until i bought a solid shaft trimmer. sure it'll cut normal weekly growth just fine, but get into some thicker stuff or heavy wet spring growth and it is down on power compared to the commercial trimmers. it is one of stihl's ''homeowner'' offerings not their commercial line. plenty of other trimmers out there of similar weight that are built far more robust and have more power
I have read a few of the posts about the trimmers. Yes the 55 vibrates but we put fs 90, 100 or 110 shafts in them from dealer part outs for $20, no more vibration. The 55 has identical power to a 90 when clearing overgrown areas under wfo conditions period (have used them side by side). EVERY trimmer I have ever owned has starting issues EXCEPT the fs 55. Starts EVERY time in blazing heat and humidity or below freezing on cold mornings. Need a carb rebuild, just buy a new carb $25 n bolt it on and go. I have used EVERY trimmer on the market since 1984 and $ for $ none compare. Pulled many a shiny or husky 50+ times to get em started . Echo's start but who cares they have NO power. The old Tanakas were great but now they're Mits that just say Tanaka and total pos. I could go on all day but in the end it's all an opinion thing. You obviously like KX 125's. I would argue every one of those things made after 1986 should have been thrown in a dumpster for the homless to dig through. Every year YZ 125 after 1996 was 1,000 times the machine but you like slow, non turning, horibly suspended kx 125's with no brakes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
I have read a few of the posts about the trimmers. Yes the 55 vibrates but we put fs 90, 100 or 110 shafts in them from dealer part outs for $20, no more vibration. The 55 has identical power to a 90 when clearing overgrown areas under wfo conditions period (have used them side by side). EVERY trimmer I have ever owned has starting issues EXCEPT the fs 55. Starts EVERY time in blazing heat and humidity or below freezing on cold mornings. Need a carb rebuild, just buy a new carb $25 n bolt it on and go. I have used EVERY trimmer on the market since 1984 and $ for $ none compare. Pulled many a shiny or husky 50+ times to get em started . Echo's start but who cares they have NO power. The old Tanakas were great but now they're Mits that just say Tanaka and total pos. I could go on all day but in the end it's all an opinion thing. You obviously like KX 125's. I would argue every one of those things made after 1986 should have been thrown in a dumpster for the homless to dig through. Every year YZ 125 after 1996 was 1,000 times the machine but you like slow, non turning, horibly suspended kx 125's with no brakes
I don't have any issue with, or anything against the FS55. In fact, I like them. However, I have yet to see a 55 start as easily as my 90R. It starts first pull every time. As far as having equal power- I gotta call BS on that, at least when made in a blanket statement like that. You may have run a couple of them side by side that seemed equal, but that simply isn't accurate when you take both of them new, or as an average, and then compare. There is no comparison. The 90 will out cut the 55 all day, every day. Again, speaking of each model as a product line, not just a few individual units.

My Husky starts on the 3rd pull every time. Always has. Hot, cold, after sitting all winter, doesn't matter. 3rd pull, and runs great after that. Every Husky trimmer I have seen in person was similar in starting too. Are all Husky's like that? I doubt it, but most of them are.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Knock on wood, that's how my husky's start. It's all I buy.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Go with a dolmar 4 stroke with oil in the crankcase (mikita owns them) 24.5 cc is $260 and the 33.5 cc is $370. 24.5cc is as strong as a 30+cc 2 stroke and the 33.5 is compariable to a 40+cc 2 stroke. I am going on year 3 with my 24.5 cc and it run as much as my kubota zd326 and it has 900 hrs now, and my dolmar is a year older.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't have any issue with, or anything against the FS55. In fact, I like them. However, I have yet to see a 55 start as easily as my 90R. It starts first pull every time. As far as having equal power- I gotta call BS on that, at least when made in a blanket statement like that. You may have run a couple of them side by side that seemed equal, but that simply isn't accurate when you take both of them new, or as an average, and then compare. There is no comparison. The 90 will out cut the 55 all day, every day. Again, speaking of each model as a product line, not just a few individual units.

My Husky starts on the 3rd pull every time. Always has. Hot, cold, after sitting all winter, doesn't matter. 3rd pull, and runs great after that. Every Husky trimmer I have seen in person was similar in starting too. Are all Husky's like that? I doubt it, but most of them are.
Ok? We have 2 90's and 4 55's on our truck. The 90's were purchased this year and the 55's last year. The 90's have more power at partial throttle but they are even when wide open and the 55's have way more hrs. As far as huskys go they are decent trimmers until they get some wear on them. I run 93 octane from BP with stihl oil clean filters and mufflers as needed but when it's 95 degrees and high humidity they don't start well unless you use starting fluid. If your a 1 man show and your equipment has time to cool off between stops your ok but if you have trimmers running all day and only shut off for a one or two block drive . They won't start
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh ya dolmar 4-strokes normally start first pull, same with sindi's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any time I start my husky's for the first time or after it sits awhile:
1. Choke and pull
2. Choke and pull and it starts and dies
3. Choke off, pull and starts and runs every time no matter what the temperature.

Never had a cooling off issue to get started.

As with any piece of equipment, knock on wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Any time I start my husky's for the first time or after it sits awhile:
1. Choke and pull
2. Choke and pull and it starts and dies
3. Choke off, pull and starts and runs every time no matter what the temperature.

Never had a cooling off issue to get started.

As with any piece of equipment, knock on wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's exactly how mine does too. Exactly.
Closed Thread