Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be wrong but I think its the procedure from the manual. If I can catch the choke on the 2nd pull its two pulls every time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
Ok? We have 2 90's and 4 55's on our truck. The 90's were purchased this year and the 55's last year. The 90's have more power at partial throttle but they are even when wide open and the 55's have way more hrs. As far as huskys go they are decent trimmers until they get some wear on them. I run 93 octane from BP with stihl oil clean filters and mufflers as needed but when it's 95 degrees and high humidity they don't start well unless you use starting fluid. If your a 1 man show and your equipment has time to cool off between stops your ok but if you have trimmers running all day and only shut off for a one or two block drive . They won't start
That's funny my 2- FS110 and 2- FS130 starts the best when its hot out
on cold days they are hard to start The hotter it is out better they start I have notice
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's exactly how mine does too. Exactly.
You must have the knack for stihl's. I don't think I've seen a stihl start with less than 6 pulls. Chainsaws, trimmers, hedge trimmers you name it. Everyone I know have them and they constantly make fun of me for not running them, but when they go to start yanking and trying to start I get my revenge when it takes 2 pulls with my saw or one if I started it in the last hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
Ok? We have 2 90's and 4 55's on our truck. The 90's were purchased this year and the 55's last year. The 90's have more power at partial throttle but they are even when wide open and the 55's have way more hrs. As far as huskys go they are decent trimmers until they get some wear on them. I run 93 octane from BP with stihl oil clean filters and mufflers as needed but when it's 95 degrees and high humidity they don't start well unless you use starting fluid. If your a 1 man show and your equipment has time to cool off between stops your ok but if you have trimmers running all day and only shut off for a one or two block drive . They won't start
Seems you take offense easily (all the hammer heads emoticons).

I understand you run both. Great. It still isn't accurate to say they are equal at WOT as a whole, product line to product line. I am a one man operation, but I run my trimmers for much longer periods at a time than many guys due to some of the places I mow, and what all is involved in the weekly trimmer use on them. Not just trimming the lawn edges etc, but swampy grass and heavy weedy growth, lots of chainlink, and tons of cracks in their parking lots they want whipped instead of treated. The trimmer gets a real workout regardless of which one I use. My 90 starts right up and so does my Husky. In fact, the warmer it gets, the easier the Husky starts. It sits out in the sun while I mow too, no shade inside a trailer. I run nothing but 93 octane and Amsoil Saber Pro at 80:1.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

I understand you run both. Great. It still isn't accurate to say they are equal at WOT as a whole, product line to product line. I am a one man operation, but I run my trimmers for much longer periods at a time than many guys due to some of the places I mow, and what all is involved in the weekly trimmer use on them. Not just trimming the lawn edges etc, but swampy grass and heavy weedy growth, lots of chainlink, and tons of cracks in their parking lots they want whipped instead of treated. The trimmer gets a real workout regardless of which one I use. My 90 starts right up and so does my Husky. In fact, the warmer it gets, the easier the Husky starts. It sits out in the sun while I mow too, no shade inside a trailer. I run nothing but 93 octane and Amsoil Saber Pro at 80:1.
I actually wonder if oil has a lot to do with it. I run opti2 and everything I've ran it in runs like a raped ape
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Any time I start my husky's for the first time or after it sits awhile:
1. Choke and pull
2. Choke and pull and it starts and dies
3. Choke off, pull and starts and runs every time no matter what the temperature.

Never had a cooling off issue to get started.

As with any piece of equipment, knock on wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Never had an issue with starting a husky cold. Do you run trimmers 10 to 12 hrs. a day only shutting them off long enough to drive 2 or 3 blocks? The problem with all trimmers is hot starts when the fuel is litterally boiling out of the carbs causing them not to start. The 55's are the only trimmers I have found that will start EVERY time which is why I use them. Are they well built? No. Comfortable? No. Most power? No. Start? YES EVERY TIME. Use them for 2 yrs and sell them on craigslist for $100 ea. EVERY time.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
You must have the knack for stihl's. I don't think I've seen a stihl start with less than 6 pulls. Chainsaws, trimmers, hedge trimmers you name it. Everyone I know have them and they constantly make fun of me for not running them, but when they go to start yanking and trying to start I get my revenge when it takes 2 pulls with my saw or one if I started it in the last hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wanna know my secret? I actually follow the starting procedure in my manuals for cold starting every time, and I experiment with the way they recommend starting once a machine is warmed up good. That, and I take extremely good care of my machines regardles of what they cost, or how old they are. Sometimes I get made fun of for being so anal about them, but then again, I ain't out in the sun yanking away on them because they won't start either.

I have owned quite a few Stihl products over the years and they have all started pretty easily for me, especially when I followed the manuals recommendations. I have gotten my 90 flooded a few times when switching from my Husky to the 90 and used the procedure for the Husky without thinking about it. Then.... it's tug-o-war time.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I actually wonder if oil has a lot to do with it. I run opti2 and everything I've ran it in runs like a raped ape
Posted via Mobile Device
I really believe that it does, at least to some degree. I have always ran Stihl orange bottle oil until I switched to HP Ultra when I got my first 4 mix. Then I made the switch to Saber, and will never go back to anything else. All my stuff runs so well on Saber that I'd be crazy to use anything else regularly. I do have some HP and Husky semi synthetic that will get used up in my chainsaws or pure 2 strokes sooner or later.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Wanna know my secret? I actually follow the starting procedure in my manuals for cold starting every time, and I experiment with the way they recommend starting once a machine is warmed up good. That, and I take extremely good care of my machines regardles of what they cost, or how old they are. Sometimes I get made fun of for being so anal about them, but then again, I ain't out in the sun yanking away on them because they won't start either.

I have owned quite a few Stihl products over the years and they have all started pretty easily for me, especially when I followed the manuals recommendations. I have gotten my 90 flooded a few times when switching from my Husky to the 90 and used the procedure for the Husky without thinking about it. Then.... it's tug-o-war time.
I've find most people can't read engines. I can usually tell how to start an engine by the way its sounding each pull. When it comes to people who have worked for me forget it. They don't have a clue haha they will yank and yank with no idea to take the choke off after pull one or 2.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I take no offense to anything you have said. It's just really frustrating to pull and pull and pull. Years ago when I had a smaller operation we kept 6 260 shinys on the truck so 1 would start. That sucks!!!!!! I can't remember the husky model #'s but it was the same thing. Nothing worse than pulling up to do a job, pulling a trimmer 54 times, getting out the starting fluid and pulling it 3 more times. By that time I need a disability check (just kidding). Still makes a bad day is all.
Closed Thread