Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I could easily sell a husky trimmer on Cl for $100 after 2 years but they last a lot longer so there's no need to sell them. I would pay that for them all day long but there's barely ever any on there. I should hope you could sell a stihl trimmer for $100. If they last there's no reason to sell them, IMO.

IMO very comfortable and well built.

They run most all day and barely move the truck as my routes are close.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

JClawn and more-

Once a 2 stroke fires over with the choke on, take it off right away or stand there and yank. It takes some a little longer than others to figure that out.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you need to follow the recommended procedure better or try something else. 6 trimmers to get 1 to start sounds like operator error. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
JClawn and more-

Once a 2 stroke fires over with the choke on, take it off right away or stand there and yank. It takes some a little longer than others to figure that out.
And if you get good you can move the choke up before it dies and not have to start it again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
I take no offense to anything you have said. It's just really frustrating to pull and pull and pull. Years ago when I had a smaller operation we kept 6 260 shinys on the truck so 1 would start. That sucks!!!!!! I can't remember the husky model #'s but it was the same thing. Nothing worse than pulling up to do a job, pulling a trimmer 54 times, getting out the starting fluid and pulling it 3 more times. By that time I need a disability check (just kidding). Still makes a bad day is all.
Oh, believe me, I have screwed up and tried starting my stuff wrong, like putting on the choke without thinking about it even though the thing was warm as toast. Standing there yanking away, and oh so tempted to slam it into the asphalt. Then I realize it was my fault and look around to see who was watching the show. I have one Stihl product now that is, or at least was, a beaatch to start. My HS45. I almost pulled my pistola a few times and blew it apart, I was so pissed at it. It would flood in the heat, or get vapor lock. Since I made the switch to Amsoil Saber in it though, it is much easier to start now. Not sure why the oil alone would make that much difference, but it does.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Sounds like you need to follow the recommended procedure better or try something else. 6 trimmers to get 1 to start sounds like operator error. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Guys like you crack me up. You must have masters (those people have an answer for everything). I have been in business for 22 years and been in the business since 1984. I know how to start, rebuild, replace, etc. They just won't start! Even if I crammed the manual in ur AZZ!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
And if you get good you can move the choke up before it dies and not have to start it again.
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL I was refering to your employees. Sorry if you thought I meant you. That's true enough though. I can do that with my 90 because it stays running with the choke on long enough for me to take it off, but it's a bit trickier with the Husky due to where the choke lever is, with the little protrusion over it and the direction I have to move it. Could just be that I've whacked my fingers one too many times with my hammer too.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Oh, believe me, I have screwed up and tried starting my stuff wrong, like putting on the choke without thinking about it even though the thing was warm as toast. Standing there yanking away, and oh so tempted to slam it into the asphalt. Then I realize it was my fault and look around to see who was watching the show. I have one Stihl product now that is, or at least was, a beaatch to start. My HS45. I almost pulled my pistola a few times and blew it apart, I was so pissed at it. It would flood in the heat, or get vapor lock. Since I made the switch to Amsoil Saber in it though, it is much easier to start now. Not sure why the oil alone would make that much difference, but it does.
No offense but I still don't think guys with small operations get it. Nor would guys with huge operations that only bid jobs. I think it takes an owner operater with a fairly large crew that all operates together. In one month the best piece of equipment $ can buy is a pos. It's not mistreated it just gets used that much. While your on your ztr, walkbehind, 21 or blower my trimmers are running and running. All day every day. Every trimmer is a pos when used this way, fs 55's just start without fail. Please take no offense in what I say, when I was a 1 man gang I wouldn't have understood either.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
No offense but I still don't think guys with small operations get it. Nor would guys with huge operations that only bid jobs. I think it takes an owner operater with a fairly large crew that all operates together. In one month the best piece of equipment $ can buy is a pos. It's not mistreated it just gets used that much. While your on your ztr, walkbehind, 21 or blower my trimmers are running and running. All day every day. Every trimmer is a pos when used this way, fs 55's just start without fail. Please take no offense in what I say, when I was a 1 man gang I wouldn't have understood either.
A FS55 That thing isn't a trimmer for Commercial use That's a Residential trimmer. Why bother with one I know its cheap, Right?

Here is how I look at it I run a crew and I am a owner/operator I get dirty with rest of them
To have high Production
I buy big mowers so I buy big trimmers. I go thru a 2.5 gal of mix in 2 days and yes that 3-4 trimmers running mostly.
Little trimmer is a waste of time and money.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i had a sthil 55 for a while and it was the best running sthil i ever saw. too bad all sthil products cant run this good
Closed Thread