Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Question about cancellations

Hey guys quick question,
This year I put everyone on a year round service calendar. They pay the same price per month year around and that includes weekly mowings thru the growing months, bi-weekly mowing thru the off season and shrubs three times a year. I didn't make them sign a contract, if someone wants to cancel how do I go about the extra work I completed that would have been paid for thru the slow season. I have a lady demanding me to cut the shrubs but she informed me that in July her grandson is going to start mowing to make money for a computer. I feel like I don't owe her shrubs because she is canceling and she thinks that I do because its in the service calendar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know but im interested in others responses.

I charge by the week and bill at the end of the month.

If you lowered your "summer" price to accomidate "winter " pricing your likely screwed.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm interested in responses too. I want to go this route eventually.. But how are you gonna bundle everything together in a yearly package without a contract? so what this means is after all the summer work is done, they can cancel in the winter if they want to, then you worked for dirt cheap all summer right? I guess i don't get it. I charge by the cut still.. It works out ok for now, but its getting to be a huge pain in my a$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I don't know but im interested in others responses.

I charge by the week and bill at the end of the month.

If you lowered your "summer" price to accomidate "winter " pricing your likely screwed.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't charge less in the summer. Long story short, I charge the same price as I would per month if I cut it 4 times. I throw in the pruning 3 times a year and switch to every other week in the fall/winter. I works out awesome but I need a way of wording the cancellation to where if they cancel mid season, they may be charged extra due to the fact that they weren't paying for the shrubs. You see what I'm saying?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do you include leaf clean-up / removal in the fall too?

Hell, i'm tired of dealing with these cheap-asses in our area, not sure how you can sell yearly service here, i get plenty of calls each week and can hardly sell a $35 dollar lawn cut anymore. haha. I see your truck around all the time, nice setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I don't charge less in the summer. Long story short, I charge the same price as I would per month if I cut it 4 times. I throw in the pruning 3 times a year and switch to every other week in the fall/winter. I works out awesome but I need a way of wording the cancellation to where if they cancel mid season, they may be charged extra due to the fact that they weren't paying for the shrubs. You see what I'm saying?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by inzane; 06-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand your billing method, I simply don't have a answer that would help you.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking, since I already keep track of everything in gopher, if someone cancels mid season, ill have to add up what they paid verse the amount of work I've completed and if they haven't paid as much as the work completed, they owe me. May have to get a lawyer to draw it up. I don't have contracts because the customer can cancel, but I call it a service agreement. It's a gray area for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Just thinking out loud here, but could you apply a cancellation fee based on how many months they have left in their annual agreement? e.g. If they cancel after 7 months, you charge them 5 x ? dollars as a cancellation fee. You'd have to do the calcs so you recoup any money, but at least then it's easy to explain & the same formula for everyone.

It's kind of how mobile phone contracts work here in Australia.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The company I partnered with does not do a yearly contract but I don't see how this would work unless the customer signed a contract because of problems like this
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mayor,
You may be on to sonething
Posted via Mobile Device