Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employee being careless.

Hello all. I hope all is well including your season. I have an important question regarding my employee. He's a great worker, arrives early, never calls out, stays late and never complains. He's my go to guy if I need something and he's dependable. Now here's the catch.
A month ago he hooked my landscape trailer to the truck and forgot to latch the coupler. It came off down the road and was dragged about 50 feet. Today, his fifth week using a walk behind with a sulky, he hopped a root and drove the walk behind off of a four foot wall bending a bunch of stuff like the bracket holding the sulky and the hand grips. I told him a number of times that when he approaches "danger areas" such as drop offs from walls, that he needs to step off of the sulky and walk the area as he mows.
So, my question is this, what should I do about his carelessness? Should I write him up and document it? Should I ........? What? Please help with ideas as I am not sure what to do. I don't want to fire him and if he quit I would be losing a good worker. This is his third year with me. Is there some sort of paperwork I can copy from you if I do write him up?
Thank you in advance for any ideas or opinions you decide to share.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who drove the truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This happened in his third yr of employment? No prior incidents?
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are these the only two things he's done? Neither sounds purposeful, and while they caused some damage, it wasn't damage to another employee, himself, or a customer's property. At this point, I think you've done what I would have. Just remind him to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
So, my question is this, what should I do about his carelessness? Should I write him up and document it? Should I ........? What? Please help with ideas as I am not sure what to do. I don't want to fire him and if he quit I would be losing a good worker. This is his third year with me. Is there some sort of paperwork I can copy from you if I do write him up?
What do you hope writing him up actually accomplishes? You've warned him about his carelessness, but now you want to write about it. If he doesn't pay attention after those two scares (and honestly, if you don't get a wake up call from those two events...), what would writing something down in his personnel file do? You say you don't want to fire him, and it seems he now has two major screw ups that verifies this for himself.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubba View Post
Are these the only two things he's done? Neither sounds purposeful, and while they caused some damage, it wasn't damage to another employee, himself, or a customer's property. At this point, I think you've done what I would have. Just remind him to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Both of his incidents, purposeful or not, could easily have had very different, and potentially tragic, outcomes.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Based on your statement I would be tickled to death to have him.....I can't begin to list the things my guys have broken, run over or destroyed this season so far..... If they are a good employee like you said at the beginning, I wouldn't worry much. Accidents happen, we all are careless at times. If he's as good as you said, he probably feels bad enough already.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

True. That's why the OP needs to decide if he wants to respond to potentiality or actuality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cola, the last two years he was only operating a self propelled push mower. Five weeks ago he was given the responsibility of operating the walk behind. Within a year he has crashed a brand new ZTR into a Rick unloading it, forgot to latch the coupler to the ball which led to the trailer disconnecting and today ran the walk behind off of a 4-5 foot wall.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fubba, my thoughts and actions thus far. Thanks.