Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Gravely ZT HD48 and bahia? Need quick advice!

I am thinking about purchasing this mower or the exmark pioneer s series.
I am new to the forum and relatively new to the lawn business.
The Gravely is about 1000 less than the pioneer S 48.
Can anyone give me advice one way or the other, these are the closest dealers to me.
Most of the accounts I currently have are stocked with Bahia and that crap gets harder and harder to mow as the season goes on. I am in Northern Louisiana.
Any advice or help would be appreciated, I need to buy a mower really quickly as my primary mower is in the shop and my backup bit the dust today. (no longer worth repairing)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have both a gravely 260 and a exmark lazer x series both 60" cuts and neither cut Bahia worth a crap. Got a new scag the other day and it is doing a fantastic job at it.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks southga

I test drove several gravelys today, did not care for any of them. The dealer also had hustler but it was out of my price range. What scag do you have that does good on bahia? The scag freedom z is more in my price range but it does not have the velocity plus deck. I am relatively new in the lawn business, and I do not seem to have enough business to justify a ten grand mower. But I would like to get the best machine for bahia that I can. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdusrayy View Post
I test drove several gravelys today, did not care for any of them. The dealer also had hustler but it was out of my price range. What scag do you have that does good on bahia? The scag freedom z is more in my price range but it does not have the velocity plus deck. I am relatively new in the lawn business, and I do not seem to have enough business to justify a ten grand mower. But I would like to get the best machine for bahia that I can. Thanks for your reply.
Where u at in Louisiana, I'm in Jonesboro just south of Ruston. I've got a turf tiger now but my toro did better in my area especially when it gets dry. We definitely have our share of Bahia in Louisiana
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Any scag with v+ deck will work well. I have a very hard time with Bahia in the south ga heat but like I said the scag does best especially with g6 blades it cuts the stalks up smaller. That is the biggest thing with Bahia around here is mist of my cutting is at 2.5 inches so all clippings show up and sometimes you still have to run over it a extra time to give it the clean look.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

@ryno - I'm in shreveport
@georgia - That is what I have been hearing about the velocity plus decks. I have scag freedom z money, but I guess I need to save up for the tiger cat...... I had heard about those g6 blades, are they mainly to make the bahia clippings smaller?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The mower that just bit the dust was a toro timecutter and it did pretty good. But it was a home depot model and I got it used, it was a 42 inch deck. Are you happy with that turf tiger? Everyone that I have spoken to that owns a scag swears by the v+ deck but most of the LCO's around here have Exmark on their trailers, you rarely see scag. I have a lot of yards with bahia and I need something that can cut most of it on the first pass. Have been trying to figure out if that mower exists before I part ways with all that cash. thanks for your reply