Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How you handle mowing call backs.

Periodically I get a call/email from a customer about something small my crew misses. Maybe a limb left in the bed or they didn't break up clumps. Small stuff.

How do you handle that with your crew. I send them back the next day to fix it but I want to make a point that this is not acceptable.

What about sending them back on their time? When they are out unsupervised I dont want them cutting corners just to get done.

I make a point to tell them to cut the lawn like it was their girlfriend or wife's lawn. Hoping that would mean they would do the best job possible.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not sure labour lawns would allow you to make them go back and not pay them, but I completely understand your frustration
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty sure you can't send them back on their own time, plus that creates a terrible environment. How about flipping it around and creating a program where if there's no callbacks, they get a small bonus or gift card?

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've really considered a bonus system but unsure how to establish it. How much each week would make it worth it? I have 2 guys and both make less than $12 per hour right now. They are under 24 years old and were rookies in the business. I had to train them from scratch.

They have been working 40-45 hours a week the last few weeks but each week has had a prune/mulch job.

For guys grossing 450 per week would a bonus of $40 per week be enough if it was based on no call backs and all lawns mowed in under 40 hours assuming we haven't picked up a ton more mow jobs.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On a personal note I always take my business seriously. I keep my lawn meticulous and I have a policy that if I won't leave my own lawn looking a certain way with clumps or whatever I won't leave a customers lawn like that either. I don't own the company but my partner has taken a liking to this policy
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
For guys grossing 450 per week would a bonus of $40 per week be enough if it was based on no call backs and all lawns mowed in under 40 hours assuming we haven't picked up a ton more mow jobs.
I'd make it $25/wk. Plus an extra $50 each if no callbacks for the entire month.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What has worked for you guys to ensure quality stays high?

We have a crew meeting every week to discuss routes, jobs, complaints, etc. none of us can afford to lose a crew in the middle of the growing season and I don't want to come off with the tone of "if u can't do it I will find someone else". I try to be open, fair, and expect the best.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Periodically I get a call/email from a customer about something small my crew misses. Maybe a limb left in the bed or they didn't break up clumps. Small stuff.

How do you handle that with your crew. I send them back the next day to fix it but I want to make a point that this is not acceptable.

What about sending them back on their time? When they are out unsupervised I dont want them cutting corners just to get done.

I make a point to tell them to cut the lawn like it was their girlfriend or wife's lawn. Hoping that would mean they would do the best job possible.

In talking to a seasoned veteran in the business he mentioned that he used to tell his guys to "mow it like it was your own lawn". Until he gave one of the guys a ride home one day and SAW his lawn! LOL

He stopped using that analogy.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make a standard list of guidelines for them.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well i am solo or i'll have one guy with me 1 or 2 days a week for the trimming if feel like i could use a break and he shows up....so i literally haven't gotten a call back or email for a lawn ever in 10 years, i make sure to blow out or double cut any clumps. i used to be so anal i would make sure not a single blade of grass was missed, but starting this year my quality has dropped a little and i will admit there blades of grass that aren't cut but because i follow the 1/3 rule its not very noticeable, vs if i cut the whole lawn a 3.25 and it started at 8" or something and there was a missed piece of grass that's 4" long. and i started paying less attention to detail to my every other other week lawns, because clearly they don't care about there lawn at this point and time, especially if its not fertilized, so i don't care as much about it either. they still say it looks great after i'm done so i guess i doing a good job...