Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Soil test results.

So I just got the results of a soil test for my lawn. Came back with pH of 5.6, P205 Phosphate at 561 lbs./A, K20 Potash at 183 lbs./A, MgO at 235 lbs./A. My lawn is really light green. So pH is a low, P205 is high, K20 is low, and MgO is low. Does this all make sense and would this explain the light greeness of my lawn? Suggestion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea it would explain it put lime on your lawn to raise your ph. My lawn is around 6.5 and its a nice dark green. The lime will neutralize some of the avidic factors in your lawn and will eventually help it become a darker healthier looking green
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to try compost for more immediate results... Good amounts of SOM can allow the plant to alter the pH at the ends of the roots hairs allowing normal access to nutrients in the soil... Lime is not a one time event in the sense that there doesn't seem to be a way to permanently alter pH of a given soil...
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

What is SOM? Sorry for my ignorance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What they are trying to impress you with is that when the ph is off the nutrients can not be absorbed by the roots.

You need to add a bunch of Lime. Enough to raise the PH 1 point to 6.5 assuming you are dealing with cool season turf.

I don't know how much lime.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

SOM = Soil Organic Matter... It marks the difference between 'soil' and 'dirt'... any texture of dirt can be improved with OM added in and cared for properly...
Adding lime will your long term strategy and compost should help in the meanwhile...
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Applying 50#'s of lime/1000sq feet should raise the soil pH 1 point. How long the amendment will last depends on several factors. First factor being the soil type.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Applying 50#'s of lime/1000sq feet should raise the soil pH 1 point. How long the amendment will last depends on several factors. First factor being the soil type.
Start here. Use a lot of patience. If it's wet in your area aerate it first or hire that out. If your grass is slowing like it is here just put down lime and aerate in the fall. Patience. You won't see the big payoff until next year anyway.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually you are leaving out the most important factor...nitrogen. When was it last fertilized with nitrogen? Do you mean it was green last year and light green this year? Is it Kentucky bluegrass? Perennial ryegrass? Fine fescue? Adequate moisture? Actually...you have had weeks of heavy rain storms in New York state.

Treat a small area with fertilizer--see if it improves. Also correct the acid soil problem, of course.
Nitrogen can be determined most reliably with a "tissue test". Costs 10 times more, but its better.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming the soil test showed N to be fine as OP didn't mention it and it comes first on analysis. Also I figured someone had poured on the N and nothing else-maybe it was you. Dropped the PH and locked up the HUGE amount of N already there. Make sense to you or should she go and put down some more N, and totally ignore the test results?

Edit:And Riggle I know you are a good guy and intelligent from other posts you have made so take that with salt.