Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2003, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never been so mad at customers

Last weekend we had a huge ice storm and tree damage was severe. So I went to Knoxville and rented a 9" chipper for the week and planned for several weeks of use with it. However, I am ready to take it back since in the past 4 days out, I've had 3 cleanups that were done by someone else who did a botched job and one last night called and said that he did it after me telling him that we'd be there today. His was an insurance claim and I bet that he had me give an estimate so that he could collect from ins. company and do what he did. After that, I've about had enough of this kind of thing and will take the chipper back unless I find something that is worth keeping it for. Something like this is going to have reprecussions to those who had a hobo off the street do their work and when their trees rot out in a few year, I guess I can make up for it later and they will pay for a removal of a rotten tree instead of the proper trimming that would have kept it healthy.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing brings out the scrubs like storm damage!
Crack and beer money.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 men and a chanisaw?

whoops! and a sixer lol
Old 02-24-2003, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brent,
I know how you feel. I worked an ice storm last year and had a guy call me who said he owned some rental properties he wanted me to bid on for debris removal. I called him back with the bids and he never returned my call. After a couple of days I went to one of the properties and spoke with the person who lived there. I told them their landlord had called about the debris removal. They looked at me like I was crazy and said that they owned the property.
Eventually I found out that the guy who called me was calling other contractors to see if he could get bids lower than his so he could sub the work out and not have to perform any labor. I called the guy and informed him that I knew what he was doing and that I didn't appreciate the way he did business. I also told him that I usually give free estimates but since he was being an idiot I would like him to pay me $30.00 for the time I spent on his bids. He actually agreed to pay me if he could deliver it to my house but I told him I didn't want people like him knowing where I live.
After the storm hit I thought I would be busy until spring. I even ran an ad for storm debris removal and didn't get one call. There were just too many scrubs driving around getting to the people before the honest ones could. Luckily I got one big job that lasted
two weeks.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I love doing an estimate for storm damage and the owner tells you give me a bid then bid this amount so I can make some money. yeah right thanks for wasting my time.

I run into the same people all year long they have a chain saw and it makes them an arborist . But what realy gets me is when you see these same people jumping around in a tree with a running chain saw with no rope and saddle and the poor person their doing the work for has no clue that if he dont have the proper safty equipment he probly dont even have insurance and when he falls out of the tree he will probably sue you.

Sorry for venting I just know where your coming from
Old 02-24-2003, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lombardi
Brent,
Eventually I found out that the guy who called me was calling other contractors to see if he could get bids lower than his so he could sub the work out and not have to perform any labor.
Actually, this guy is the smart one. Think about it from a business point of view. I can take on a hundred insurance jobs and sub out all the work. Make a ton of money and only have to orchestrate the deal. Work smarter not harder!
Old 02-25-2003, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawndog,
I would normally agree with you on this, but this guy misrepresented himself by lying about who he was. That is what upset me. I told him I would have been glad to work with him if he had just been honest with me in the first place.
I have no problem with subbing out work, I do it myself. But, I do not lie about who I am and what my intentions are.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
After the storm hit I thought I would be busy until spring. I even ran an ad for storm debris removal and didn't get one call. There were just too many scrubs driving around getting to the people before the honest ones could
Although I do not agree with unlicensed contractors, in the above statement they were actually the smart ones. We offer a 24hr emergency number for tree work. After a storm hits I send crews out to do jobs, and have them just drive around neighborhoods looking for work. People want down trees cleaned up as soon as possible. If you are there first, you will be surprised what people will pay. If we get to the job first, do you really think they will be going through the paper looking for ads? Relief is always on a first come first serve basis.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-25-2003, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are NO smart scrubs!!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should turn him in.
Let me say this for those of you who think live and let live. Lawyers police their own why shouldn't we?
We have a lawyer here in NC that has been disbarred because of his dishonest business practices. He was turned in by another lawyer.
If we don't take charge of our industry and clean it up then we have no one to blame but ourselves for what happens.
We already have econuts and politicians who want to do away with herbicides and fert. and pesticides, mainly because of misuse from non licensed users.
If we want to get rid of scrubs and bring a little respect back to the green industry then we must take action to get rid of these dishonest cheaters.