Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Specticle on St. Aug/centipede

Has anyone used Specticle on St. Augustine and Centipede? What rate did you use and what kind of results are you getting? I've heard horror stories about golf courses on sandy soils absolutely smoking some Bermuda due to severe root pruning. I've talk with two superintendents in my area (we have heavy clay soils) and they can't say enough good things about it. The problem is that they are dealing with Bermuda and most of my clients have St. Augustine. I want to use it this fall, but I'm a little worried about being the guinea pig in my area.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to look this up as I'm totally unfamiliar with the AI in it for use on Centipede. May I ask why you would use this in lieu of Celsius or another well documented herbicide that will take care of most of the weeds that this product shows? Most of the pros would run a test before using on a customer's lawn. When Dismiss came out, I ran it beside other herbicides all summer before even considering it for Centipede and St. Augustine.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Specticle is a pre-, whereas Celsius is a post-. I do use Celsius, but the superintendents I was talking about are seeing up to 8 months of control from a single app, in a 9 1/2-10 month growing season. Also, Specticle isn't supposed to have much mobility, which I like. Basically, I'm looking to cut out some post apps to save money and keep from putting more herbicides into the soil. As for doing some testing, I agree; however, if you price Specticle, you will see why I'm asking if anyone else has already used it.
One of the superintendents said a about the only weeds they have now are a few random areas of dallisgrass that are off the beaten path, and goosegrass in compacted areas that result from patron traffic during their tournament. The other super said that the only place he has weeds is where the boom was lifted to go around an obstacle that was to narrow for the breakaway.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Specticle? HOLY SHIZ! Bayer has rates for application to centipede and St Augustine which are half of what is for bermuda. There are explicit warnings about what effect this product has on the roots of turfgrass. Bayer even had to remove the labeling for seashore paspalum. Indicating it is only to be used if removal is desired. With centipede and St Augustine, the last thing I want to ever interfere with is the root tack down from the surface stolons. Those are the life blood of those grasses. There are no underground rhizomes or a deep central root system.

I find that the best defense against weeds in St Augustine is to do nothing that will negatively affect the rooting or overall turf density. Starvation, low mowing, water rationing, and usage of root pruning herbicides falls under that flag. The only thing I use Specticle for is to stop grass from growing under trees and shrubs. Warm season grasses trying to encroach on sprayed soil fail to root. Their stolons float on the soil surface where it is easy to cut it off with an edger. Without Specticle, it is no problem for grasses to put roots down and become established. Good under shrubs, on lawn where you want maximum rooting? I have seen it used on bermuda sports fields mowed at 1" or higher. Turf density was noticeably affected compared to grass treated with non root pruners. The label rate of Specticle caused the St Augustine to send runners that were not rooted down. May I ask exactly what kind of weeds you are trying to prevent/control?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Wish we could get more info on specticle. I hear a lot of people talking how good weed control is but nothing on grass thinning on centipede and st aug.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've heard that you have to keep Spectacle 10 feet away from fescue when spraying it as a pre-emergent in the fall because it could damage it. Do you really have to stay 10 feet away from it?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The short answer is YES, but the specifics depend on which product you're using.

The Specticle 20 WSP label states that you have to be at least 15 ft away from tall fescue. The Specticle FLO label says that you have to stay at least one spray boom width away from tall fescue.

If you're using Specticle on warm season lawns next to cool season lawns (bermudagrass next to tall fescue),you can't treat the entire lawn with Specticle -- you have to leave an untreated strip.

Remember, the label is the law.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Specticle? HOLY SHIZ! Bayer has rates for application to centipede and St Augustine which are half of what is for bermuda. There are explicit warnings about what effect this product has on the roots of turfgrass. Bayer even had to remove the labeling for seashore paspalum. Indicating it is only to be used if removal is desired. With centipede and St Augustine, the last thing I want to ever interfere with is the root tack down from the surface stolons. Those are the life blood of those grasses. There are no underground rhizomes or a deep central root system.

I find that the best defense against weeds in St Augustine is to do nothing that will negatively affect the rooting or overall turf density. Starvation, low mowing, water rationing, and usage of root pruning herbicides falls under that flag. The only thing I use Specticle for is to stop grass from growing under trees and shrubs. Warm season grasses trying to encroach on sprayed soil fail to root. Their stolons float on the soil surface where it is easy to cut it off with an edger. Without Specticle, it is no problem for grasses to put roots down and become established. Good under shrubs, on lawn where you want maximum rooting? I have seen it used on bermuda sports fields mowed at 1" or higher. Turf density was noticeably affected compared to grass treated with non root pruners. The label rate of Specticle caused the St Augustine to send runners that were not rooted down. May I ask exactly what kind of weeds you are trying to prevent/control?
Seashore paspalum was only removed from the label after some yellowing was noticed when Specticle was applied to seashore paspalum grown in 100% sand rootzones and mowed at less than 0.5" . You certainly won't kill or remove any paspalum with Specticle. But, Bayer doesn't want to deal with injury claims from yellowed turf. BTW, seashore paspalum on 100% sand, but was mowed higher than 0.5", or any height of paspalum grown on sandy soil with at least 1% organic matter saw absolutely no injury or discoloration.

Bayer's work on St. Augustinegrass showed that the label max for a single app (double the recommended for St. Aug) didn't prevent stolon rooting and my work on St. Aug showed that we could go higher than the one-time max and still not inhibit rooting. But, Bayer is a risk-averse company and writes their labels with lots of cushion.

From the data that Bayer has published and the private contract work I've done, I wouldn't have any worries at all about applying Specticle to St. Augustinegrass.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i met with a specticle rep today. He talked it up. this is the only thread i can find on specticle on here. i know its new but the way he talked they are getting great results
Old 06-27-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
i met with a specticle rep today. He talked it up. this is the only thread i can find on specticle on here. i know its new but the way he talked they are getting great results
I'm thinking Centipede and St. Augustine grass. You may have something else; so just think about the sales pitch of a "Used Car" Salesman. They're in it for money--don't be taken in. If you're bent on it, go ahead and try it on a vacant lot of a small place of your own lawn. Personally, I wouldn't trust it till then, unless you want to resod.

Tags
centipede , pre-emergent , root pruning , specticle , st. augustine