Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Whats the minimum average charge in your area.
10 1 1.47%
20 8 11.76%
25 16 23.53%
30 16 23.53%
35 19 27.94%
40 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

12 year old LOW BALLING

I just got home, and was checking the mail box for mail. It was early in the day and the mail lady hadn't made it down our street yet. But what I did find was a flyer. XYZ Mowing Service. The letter reads as follows.

I am a 12 year old kid trying to earn extra money. I have been mowing yards for the past four years.

I am offering a package deal to mow and trim an average yard for $10 Any size bigger or smaller we can discuss price.

number

thank you.

Now in my area $30 is just about what it takes to off load the trailer. I'm tempted to take him up on it.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Industrious kid.....a bit naive though.....I am sure he will learn quickly that $10 a crack is way too cheap and he will slack off and get canned.......Of course at $10, you wouldnt mind a crappy job
Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagil View Post
I just got home, and was checking the mail box for mail. It was early in the day and the mail lady hadn't made it down our street yet. But what I did find was a flyer. XYZ Mowing Service. The letter reads as follows.

I am a 12 year old kid trying to earn extra money. I have been mowing yards for the past four years.

I am offering a package deal to mow and trim an average yard for $10 Any size bigger or smaller we can discuss price.

number

thank you.

Now in my area $30 is just about what it takes to off load the trailer. I'm tempted to take him up on it.
I don't know if you should take him up on it or not but he's got no bills and no overhead so $10 is probably just fine to him. I say more power to him. Capitalism (free market) at its finest. I think I mowed my first lawns for about the same price when I was his age. Granted that was back in the 80s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He can't be making much at that rate. I would hire him!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We have guys who charge $25 an hour to $40 minimum. I try for no less than $30. Some lawns are 10 minutes. I get $25 for those. Vacation mows for me are 35 or more depending on if I have time. My prices are before sales tax.

I hope your not worried about a 12 year old taking business away. How much can he get done any way. Wait til it gets hot and humid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I hope your not worried about a 12 year old taking business away. How much can he get done any way. Wait til it gets hot and humid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly what I'm thinking, As long as you do quality work then you should be fine, once the customers that used him see how bad the yard looks after he is done, they will call you right back.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

First thought - right on for a young kid with such work ethic! He's hitting a market niche.

Second tought - do you need a helper? Might be a good opportunity to get what appears to be a hard working kid with desire. Might be someone you can train to become a future foreman on another crew.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco1 View Post
First thought - right on for a young kid with such work ethic! He's hitting a market niche.

Second tought - do you need a helper? Might be a good opportunity to get what appears to be a hard working kid with desire. Might be someone you can train to become a future foreman on another crew.
What will the kid do for the next 4-6 years until he can legally run a mower/trimmer?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
What will the kid do for the next 4-6 years until he can legally run a mower/trimmer?
File papers, do taxes, ya know...all that :P

Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Ha - hadn't thought about that! Maybe let him handle the pesticides and weedkiller? I kid, I kid. I almost sunk the OP's battleship with a federal lawsuit

Tags
crazy , kids , learning , lowballer