Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Whats the minimum average charge in your area.
10 1 1.47%
20 8 11.76%
25 16 23.53%
30 16 23.53%
35 19 27.94%
40 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
File papers, do taxes, ya know...all that :P
never thought of that.......
Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Usually they get those yards the that you don't want anyway. The ones that really can't afford to have their lawn serviced in the first place, or the tight old lady on the corner that has been paying the same since the late-70's. They are like lawn care-interns. They fill a void. Sooner or later they decide they are working too cheap or they just quit. Trust me, I have a couple in my neighborhood and I wouldn't want anything they are doing.

As far as what's the minimum they charge, the numbers in your poll don't go low enough.

Last edited by Keith; 06-28-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Well that kid's got some gumption, and he probably doesn't know what to charge, and he probably push mows the yards so he doesn't spend anything on fuel either. My 12 year old daughter wouldn't last long behind a push mower in 90 degree heat though. And a lot of home owners are going to see him as a liability for insurance reasons because I wouldn't think he has any and kids get hurt easy with power equipment from lack of knowledge not stupidity.
Husq Blower
Ford F250 7.3 Diesel
5x14 Trailer
In God We Trust!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bless his heart, he states that he is willing to negotiate off of the $10.00 price if the yard is "below average size". I can't imagine anyone actually suggesting that he mow their yard for under 10 bucks, no matter how small it is! Now that would be heartless!

I'm kinda torn in situations like these. It's frustrating as he*l to try to justify your pricing to customers when you have a kid with basically zero overhead and willing to work for next to nothing. But on the other hand, it's nice to see a kid working hard trying to make money legally....especially in this day and time.

I started my first little lawn mowing service when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old (around 1960). I grew up in a very small town and I had about 6 yards that were all within about 1/2 mile of my house....most were closer than 1/2 mile.

I'd tie our old push mower to the back of my bike and away I'd go! My dad paid for all of the gas/oil (gas was less than .25/gal) and kept the blade sharp for me. I charged from .50 to 1.25 depending on size, but they were all pretty small.

As I said, I'm torn when it comes to things like this, but you gotta admire a young man like this that is willing to work to try to make some money. That says a lot about him, and I'm fairly sure he'll do well in life.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Bless his heart, he states that he is willing to negotiate off of the $10.00 price if the yard is "below average size". I can't imagine anyone actually suggesting that he mow their yard for under 10 bucks, no matter how small it is! Now that would be heartless!

I'm kinda torn in situations like these. It's frustrating as he*l to try to justify your pricing to customers when you have a kid with basically zero overhead and willing to work for next to nothing. But on the other hand, it's nice to see a kid working hard trying to make money legally....especially in this day and time.

I started my first little lawn mowing service when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old (around 1960). I grew up in a very small town and I had about 6 yards that were all within about 1/2 mile of my house....most were closer than 1/2 mile.

I'd tie our old push mower to the back of my bike and away I'd go! My dad paid for all of the gas/oil (gas was less than .25/gal) and kept the blade sharp for me. I charged from .50 to 1.25 depending on size, but they were all pretty small.

As I said, I'm torn when it comes to things like this, but you gotta admire a young man like this that is willing to work to try to make some money. That says a lot about him, and I'm fairly sure he'll do well in life.
If your customer has a problem with paying you 30 or whatever and can't figure out why a 12 year old can do it for a third of the price you shouldn't want them anyway. They would have absolutely no smarts or common sense
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
If your customer has a problem with paying you 30 or whatever and can't figure out why a 12 year old can do it for a third of the price you shouldn't want them anyway. They would have absolutely no smarts or common sense
Posted via Mobile Device
You're exactly right.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wonder how happy daddy will be when he's gotta buy the kid a new mower because the oil has never been checked
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So what if the kid ends up turning out real good work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
Wonder how happy daddy will be when he's gotta buy the kid a new mower because the oil has never been checked
And what if the offer entails the kid using the homeowner's equipment, what happens then?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post

I would be very happy to see the kid out working to make a buck versus sitting at home playing video games or getting into trouble. I'd have no problem maintaining the mower for him. I'd rather it cost me a little to have him try than to cost me a fortune being a couch potato.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personal experience. My daddy wasn't happy, think I still have belt marks

Tags
crazy , kids , learning , lowballer