Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Does it help to tell new customers you have back-up mowers?
Yes, it helps. 4 12.50%
No, it doesn't matter, gust mow the dang grass. 28 87.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
Been asked that a couple of times as I have taken over lawns from fly by nights. I always reply that my back-ups have back-ups and not to worry.
That's a lot of back-up
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

backup mower, backup trimmer, backup truck, backup trailer, backup for the backup... 95% of the time people just want it done, if they are picky enough they don't care if you use a pair of scissors....
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have two of most every piece of equipment but not because it makes a good sales pitch and while I don't think that it would hurt to mention it I don't volunteer it either, when I go give the estimate I'm not trying to make extra conversation... Just go look at the work, be polite, give them the price, let them decide, that's it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think it make me look bad to potential new customers?
Maybe I should stop bring it up.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't mention it unless asked. How can having enough equipment to ensure that the job gets done make you look bad?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
Do you think it make me look bad to potential new customers?
Maybe I should stop bring it up.
I don't think it looks bad, in all honesty it is good to have a backup, but it's like bragging about your high school GPA... only .05% care.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhigh View Post
Do you have a back up truck??
Posted via Mobile Device
I have two.

First one is on the dealers showroom floor.

The second back up is on his lot.

If my Jeep went down I have my wife's Suburban or my son's Colorado to use. Good to have back ups for every thing. Best way to get back ups is to buy replacements before the truck trailer mower handheld dies.

Before you know it one would have everything needed for a second crew.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
Been asked that a couple of times as I have taken over lawns from fly by nights. I always reply that my back-ups have back-ups and not to worry.
Same here. On several occasions, I've had prospective clients comment that they want to know that their lawn will be cut every week, regardless. Just this spring we added a new client who specifically said that he really liked the guy he used last year but that the guy was a solo operation and was unreliable. He made the comment that the guy was using old equipment and that he would call and say his truck broke down or his mower broke down or he was going to have to borrow some equipment from a friend, etc. The client said he grew tired of hearing it and decided that this year he'd go with a professional LCO.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
... Just go look at the work, be polite, give them the price, let them decide, that's it.
And don't forget to sell yourself and your company. Ask questions about their yard - maybe unimportant things but it gets them talking. Make small talk if given the opportunity. Try to connect and leave an impression. Maybe point out some things you notice in their yard to compliment them AND show your landscape knowledge - "Wow, look at those hydrangeas" or "I love spirea. The only downside to them is you have to keep an eye out for aphids". By doing this, hopefully, they'll ask what other services you provide and then... they open the door and you can mention everything your company can do for them.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
And don't forget to sell yourself and your company. Ask questions about their yard - maybe unimportant things but it gets them talking. Make small talk if given the opportunity. Try to connect and leave an impression. Maybe point out some things you notice in their yard to compliment them AND show your landscape knowledge - "Wow, look at those hydrangeas" or "I love spirea. The only downside to them is you have to keep an eye out for aphids". By doing this, hopefully, they'll ask what other services you provide and then... they open the door and you can mention everything your company can do for them.
Good advice, on my vacation homes, I always tell new customers that I will check there property (door,windows, etc) when I'm there to mow. I think that a selling point also. About a third of my customers I've never met.