Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Best no maintenance ground cover to stop erosion

My new home has bare dirt mulch beds. The lot is on a steep hill and the run-off during storms washes all the mulch away. I have a lot of mud running down and erosion problems. What's the best way to control it with a zero-maintenance ground cover? I'm thinking along the lines of weed-control fabric covered with some type of rock? Ideas?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Pull out all the stupid edging first rent a bed edger put a good edge on that bed. That will help with your problem more than anything else. The small trench that a bed edger makes will help a ton with the wash out. Remove soil from the first picture and get rid of edging.

I don't know where you are but zero maintenance and ground cover is a joke right. Everything takes work to look good. Without knowing where you are and light conditions everyone here will just give you a guess on what will work for you. If it were mine I would invest money in making the beds right instead of tons of cash on ground cover.

Another thing you should think about is mulch type. Not a big fan of pine needles but they do tend to stick together and not wash out so bad cuz of the sap makes them stick together. The draw back is fall clean up sucks cuz it is so light getting leaves out is a pain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input- I never heard of a bed edger. Yes the prior owners must have owned stock in contrete blocks. So pull all the sculped blocks out, make a trench and then re-mulch the beds. As for the tiers- they obviously filled up with dirt level to the top of the blocks. I could dig it out a few inches and mulch- or maybe lay another row of the big blocks to have a raised edge?

I'm in Virginia and those areas are all shaded under big hardwood trees.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How about Astilbe? Use a few different variety for color and height difference.

They'll blend nicely with your hosta.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lily-of-the-Valley took over one of our rock gardens when all other groundcovers failed... it is my experience that putting in a variety of plants and watching which ones spread most quickly are the ones you want to go with...
Of course, if you keep the beds 'weeded' from the beginning, there is very little chance that weeds are a problem down the road...

I have large patches of groundcover that no longer allows weeds of any kind to establish... hence the 'maintenance free' notion...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Whatever you do, don't use ivy. The previous owners planted it and look what I get now!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLM View Post
Pull out all the stupid edging first rent a bed edger put a good edge on that bed. That will help with your problem more than anything else. The small trench that a bed edger makes will help a ton with the wash out. Remove soil from the first picture and get rid of edging.

This is great advice, until the edge fills up with mulch and then the same thing happens as is now.

I don't know where you are but zero maintenance and ground cover is a joke right. Everything takes work to look good. Without knowing where you are and light conditions everyone here will just give you a guess on what will work for you. If it were mine I would invest money in making the beds right instead of tons of cash on ground cover.

Another thing you should think about is mulch type. Not a big fan of pine needles but they do tend to stick together and not wash out so bad cuz of the sap makes them stick together. The draw back is fall clean up sucks cuz it is so light getting leaves out is a pain.
Posted via Mobile Device
And correct, there is no such thing as zero maintenance ground cover. Even asphalt and concrete require maintenance.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office