Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

fun with plastic

tho i dont advertise, i doo have a sm add in yellow pgs cause peps will say i lost your card a lot, me too. the only bad thing i would ever say about any other co is "if there not in the phone book, i would not hire them". thats just me.

iam wondering if there is as much intrest in the plastic stuff as b4. i used to have a bad outlook on plistic b4 but am more tolerant in my old age. plastic has come a long ways in the last 10 yrs. who knows what will be using 10 yrs from now....wouldent that b funny.

1 will not mix properly with or w/out sand.
2 impeller/housing wear out.

so iam wondering if anyone is working on solving those oppertunities or if we are just going to live with them.
i dont care what you coat with (around here) as long as your work looks good. but iam thinking until you get that mixing thing right, you might have issues with blotchy looking drives. that would be a problem for both of us. these customers were very gun shy about 16 yrs ago cause of crappy coaters. they left b4 i started but it was hard selling for a few yrs.
i know you know the problem, and you want to know the answer, and i dont have it, but its not my problem. its yours, so who is working on it?,,,,,,,,anybody?
i think my big drill mixer would do it with cir on hi in......1/2 hr...maybe. that would wear me out & have to be done over & o.
agine, the tighter the clearence between the impeller & housing, the more psi you get. sand wears the clearence btween the two. different materials will wear at slower/faster rates. dont beach your jetski & it will last longer.
as soon as someone figures it out, you can bet all the manufacturs will jump on it. until then, if i had
to mix by hand i think i would start with a 2-300 gal steel cause you will have money to put hydro agitation in it by fall.
i used to think i put all that money in my truck SO i could get $ 50.per. but i have customers that pay more to have it broomed on....go figure. so, anybody making any headway?
one fella wrote that he used a electric boat motor for mixing......see, you gotta get out of the house more.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, we will never get it to work as good as good as a round steel tank but lets just think outloud. i have no idea how much psi & volume those units put out. seems like were tryen to "mix without touching" that puts some heavy limits on us. as well as a cost issue. i think my old whirlpool tub is almost strong enough to do it. if the bottom of the tank was molded in such a way to work with 4 spray hoses going in the bottom of tank, one on each corner to get a swril going. or there may be a searies of angles that could be molded into the bottom that would work even better than a swril. there would need to be a 2" hose to suck off the top (thinner faster moving stuff at first) and it must be lowerable for use with less than a full tank. 4 corner hoses, large with a ventura at tank entrance to speed up volum a little. or snaller hoses with jets for a little extra free speed. i guess iam thinking pressure in the bottom not sucktion. youll b doing all the r&d so iam not the least bit worried about how much psi those plastic parts will take. directioanal jets might be cool. another option might be more of a v shaped bottom. i think my wand would put out enough psi to shuve in tank & mix, not that we want to do that, just looking for ideas here. dont worry about sounding silly, nobody has improved this topic in the last 10 yrs. make the best out of what you have to work with. even knowing what does not work is still moving in the right direction.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

same short 2" top suction hose.....& short discharge hose going in manway, maybe a wand, easy moved corner to c. or short 2" discharge hose through manway, same but more of a HVLP style? if someone can get this to work, we can then have you slowly add sand until it stops working & we will then know the sand limitations of the system. just keep having fun.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

ive been looking at this hard for a while. its going to take a better man than me to make a plastic tank work. thanks for your input just the same. i KNOW what my 1 1/2 pump & 16 cfm will & wont do and i have played in enough sludge to know about that too. the trash pump system might work well enough to spray but the lack of mixing ability cannot be denyed. that makes it harder on the pump too. these tanks wont even get past the sludge factor much less be able to add sand. i saw cone bottom tanks that would be helpfull but over night all the sand (200lb) will collect in the bottom, making the morning start up fun.

trash pump....maybe plastic tank.......not a good investment.

.02..by july youll wish you got steel. or youll b glad you borrowed (& paid back) money cause you own steel.
the price seems to b in $250 range....i see 300 gal hand c starting @ 900 new. i like cheep tools if they work. a short cut is ok IF it does not affect the final outcome. R & D silly me, they dont even talk.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone have any intrest in a 150 gal ROUND plastic tank with hand crank steel agitation that will mix sealer & sand for $775. ?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

just wanted to leave this 150 gal hc w/12" lid here for a bit.
Attached Images