Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Hot lance, hot crack fill

Hello. I'm getting estimates to have my driveway sealcoated and have the cracks filled. I have a pretty good idea of what the sealing should cost (Brewer Coat Sealant). I also think that hot lance and hot fill is the best way to go to fix the cracks. But..I have no clue what a reasonable price is per linear foot to have the cracks treated this way. I have no problem paying a guy for good work and good product but I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hot lance, hot crack fill

I thought this was an inappropriate post lol
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftysoftball View Post
Hello. I'm getting estimates to have my driveway sealcoated and have the cracks filled. I have a pretty good idea of what the sealing should cost (Brewer Coat Sealant). I also think that hot lance and hot fill is the best way to go to fix the cracks. But..I have no clue what a reasonable price is per linear foot to have the cracks treated this way. I have no problem paying a guy for good work and good product but I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks in advance!
Good luck finding a contractor who will be using a hot lance to clean the cracks. That machine is quiet expansive and most contractors use that for city work or commercial jobs, they don't bother with that for residential because most homeowners can't afford it.

You can still do a good job with a good powerbroom, wire mesh wheel, crack cleaning tool etc to clean the cracks. As long as the cracks are free of debries, vegetation, humidity, you will be fine.

The price per linear foot depends on market area, but for heat lance + hot crack filling, it should be something close to 1$/linear foot or a bit more.
Complete lawn care services
Old 07-27-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply JFGauvreau. The guy that gave me the quote has a Basic and a Premium package. He's charging $1.25/lin. ft. for hot lance / hot fill. He seems to be priced right on the seal coat. $408 for 3700 sq. ft. Basic crack fill is $.56 / ft. I think the lance is the way to go but maybe it's over kill?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I doubt a 3700 sq. Ft. driveway has too many linear feet of cracks. Go ahead and pay for the hot lance. He is darn near giving away his sealer anyway.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
I thought this was an inappropriate post lol
ya i always wanted my high school nickname to be..................
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dintlow View Post
I doubt a 3700 sq. Ft. driveway has too many linear feet of cracks. Go ahead and pay for the hot lance. He is darn near giving away his sealer anyway.
298 lin. ft. according to the est. No gator cracking, just lots of, well, linear cracks!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe your in need of a new driveway? Most seal coat only companies will not advise you properly if you are just waisting your money. Thats like a seal coat company telling or even sealing your drive every year. Wrong!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftysoftball View Post
Thanks for the reply JFGauvreau. The guy that gave me the quote has a Basic and a Premium package. He's charging $1.25/lin. ft. for hot lance / hot fill. He seems to be priced right on the seal coat. $408 for 3700 sq. ft. Basic crack fill is $.56 / ft. I think the lance is the way to go but maybe it's over kill?
Does he have a written warranty at that price for the cracks and seal coating?
Is he a reputable contractor?

.56c/ linear feet for basic crack filling is dirt cheap, what will he be using? Cold pour product?

And from your listed quoted price, he is definitely dirt cheap at 11 cents / square foot for seal coating, what product is he using again?
Complete lawn care services
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
Does he have a written warranty at that price for the cracks and seal coating?
Is he a reputable contractor?

.56c/ linear feet for basic crack filling is dirt cheap, what will he be using? Cold pour product?

And from your listed quoted price, he is definitely dirt cheap at 11 cents / square foot for seal coating, what product is he using again?
The Premium package w/hot lance and hot fill comes w/a 12 mo. warranty. He has been a Remodler in my home town for well over 20yrs. and has been doing sealcoating approx. 3yrs. I trust him and his family completely. His sealcoat is Brewercoat mixed at 35% water, I think?