Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Greetings to all!

I will go by the name of SealMeNow, which coincidentally is also the name of my company! haha

I have been lurking around this forum for the past few months and let me start off by saying a huge thank you to everyone, your millions of hours of experience here helped me alot to start off.

A little but about us:

other than myself I have a partner and together we put about $18,000 into starting up this business the right way. I have been in the painting industry for the past 6 years and did quite a few driveways before and used paint sprayers so i guess i'll have to adjust from spraying paint to spraying sealer. my partner has one of the most successful mobile detailing companies in Toronto and the GTA (Called WashMeNow - google him!) and our business will be based on the same model as his which had great success!

Equipment:

We are debating whether to go with the Pro 100C from Pro-Tech or have our good friends at Nitro Industrial (a store in Vaughan) build us a custom one.
Aside from the sprayer we have all the other stuff such as blowers, spray shield (from my painting days lol) brushes (also helped that i have been cutting straight lines with a brush since I was 15) and all the normal sealcoating tools, I wont bore you with the details...

And we will probably be spraying Polytar (which is freaking expensive!) or FedSpec by GemSeal

Our Operation:

To begin with we will be targeting mostly residential driveways, myself and a helper will be spraying while a 2 of my university students friends will be out and about knocking on doors and hanging door hangers, while my partner handles all online marketing (kijiji, google, etc...), trust me you havent seen good sales men until you seen those middle eastern guys! haha

I am still waiting on our truck lettering to come in as well as the matching shirts and advertising materials! cant wait for the season to start

thank you for reading my loooooong introduction and I promise to keep it shorter in my comments :P

BTW feel free to visit our new website www.sealmenow.ca and leave any feedback you might have!

cheers!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

sealmenow
iam sure you have done all the math, but this looks like a good thred to share the flip side of the coin with other wannabes.
waht will it cost a wannabe to run his first season? its easy to pull #s from the sky, & they wont b accurat, but its all we have.
SMN is lucky to have such a large start up fund. it can = more money comming in right away. its hard to keep much money yourself the first year.

$10,000 lets say you spent this on start up
$12,500 5000gal @ 2.50 on sealer
$ 4,000 fuel
$ 1,000 rubber
$ 1,500 ins
$ 550 sand
$ 500 advertising
$ 500 stakes,ribbon,chalk,ect,ect.
------------
$30,500 total, plus whatever i forgot. OUCH. AND thats b4 anybody gets paid. not to worry tho cause with 20 work weeks thats only $1,525.00 per week. crap, there goes the weekends.

looks like a ballancing act between spending & not. you MUST spend enough to be productive but no horns & wistels yet. you could save a lot without a spray system but then u b way limited on income. so.............do ya wanna run with the big dogs?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello and Welcome SealMeNow
Line-striping
Hot Rubberized Crack Sealing
Ashpalt Sealcoating.
Mow & Go Lawncare
Old 03-06-2015, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to this forum . Always interesting to read posts from people closer to me . Have a good year .
Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

5,000 gal of sealer & 25 boxes o rubber will do about 450,000 sf. so @ .11 per=$49,500.

thats about 22 1000sf drives per wk. you can do more IF you can get the work.

looking at the whole year will help you make your adjustments to set up your goals.
you may spend more or less on your spray rig. or you might strech your payments over
a couple years. heck, you might not be using ct or sand. so put your #s together & see
how YOU want to fine tune your year.
iam sure a lot of newbes have learned what & what not to do in getting set up,
maybe they will share some of that info.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't tell joeE how much we charge in Canada
Line-striping
Hot Rubberized Crack Sealing
Ashpalt Sealcoating.
Mow & Go Lawncare
Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

dont MAKE me move to Canada.

2 agitate or recirculate

if your still unsure, do a cheep test & see for yourself. buy 2 buckets of sealer & a20 gal toat.
mix well, let set, 3,5,7 days & see what it takes to mix it up. our sealer is about 44% solids so
adjust acordingly. now add the sand & modifier you want to use & retest. if you have a trash pump,
fire it up & see what it will do with that sludge right in the toat. pretty sure your going to use a stick
or board. so as long as your ok with that, so will the world be.
for those that like to get there hands dirty, you might not b as far from a steel tank as you might think.
used oil tanks, 100=300 gal go for $50-$200, and i have seen more than one go for "just getit outta here".
if your lucky it will have strong legs & 1or2 two in ports. u b like a manway & agitation bar away from a
useable tank. do as much cutting & leg work as you can & talk to a welder. you can get your steel for the manway cut at fab shop & YOU can cut all the angle iron for the agitation syst. drill 8 holes for bearing
blocks. mark the shaft center holes & if you can cut a 2in hole, you can install the shaft with bearings.
cut 6 pc of angle for wipers & have your pre-cut manway all set for the wqelder. you should b able to put
two 3pc wipers together outside the tank so you will only have 4 welds inside of tank. heck, on a 100=150
gal tank you could bolt your wipers together.

1 1/2" shaft (cold rolled)= $12 per ft

1 1/2" angle might b .50 a lb

2 bearings & seals = $60
pre-cut basic manway might b $100-200.

agine, an oil tank will b like new imside.look oyt for rust on the outside, surface rust can b sanded off but pitting cannot. you want one that is in good cond. DO NOT USE A GAS TANK.
HINT, ive never found a used oil tank on the computer.

Tags
introduction , ontario , sealcoating