The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Branching out- Line striping only to start?

Hello all, ive been doing some research here and have been thinking about venturing into asphalt maintenance, ive never worked in seal coating before, only striped and layed new asphalt. I have a question though, I was thinking of starting the venture by offering only striping at first, as opposed to repair, seal coating,and striping right off the bat. Is there anyone in the area that can give me some insight as to whether or not doing only striping could be potentially profitable/marketable, or not so much?

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi, idk about your area but here in New York there's a few striping only companies and I assume they do pretty good since there still in business. Another big company around here does alot of striping as well as sealing, he does good from it. I'm buying the line striping from my father come spring and starting my own business, of course most of my work will come from him with the sealing but already have another sealcoat company who wants to use me. Around here the going rate for a parking spot is $7, I figured I'm only spending $.40 to stripe that spot. So to answer your question yes it's profitable, just price things out right and you'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegmc1213 View Post
Hi, idk about your area but here in New York there's a few striping only companies and I assume they do pretty good since there still in business. Another big company around here does alot of striping as well as sealing, he does good from it. I'm buying the line striping from my father come spring and starting my own business, of course most of my work will come from him with the sealing but already have another sealcoat company who wants to use me. Around here the going rate for a parking spot is $7, I figured I'm only spending $.40 to stripe that spot. So to answer your question yes it's profitable, just price things out right and you'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey dodgegmc, how much is a bucket of paint where you live?
And how many lines can you get from that?
My price seem to creep up every year. Iam payen about $70 per bucket.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeE View Post
Hey dodgegmc, how much is a bucket of paint where you live?
And how many lines can you get from that?
My price seem to creep up every year. Iam payen about $70 per bucket.
We switched to franklin paints in the beginning of the season, but we have to travel to Connecticut to buy it from a supplier. It's about $60-$70 per pail. The paint we got locally just sucks anymore and was around $95-$100 per pail. So that little ride to Connecticut is fine, we grab a few pails and we are set for a while. Franklin is cheaper and is the best paint I ever used. I contacted franklin themselves and they can deliver me pallet or more, I believe theres 24 pails on a pallet and can mix the colors.
I can probably get 80-90 lines with a 5gal pail
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

For me I've done mostly seal coating, only a handful of striping jobs, i guess it depends on your area, most big box stores are run national maintenance companies(cheap cheap). Believe me ive asked lots of small business if they need lines painted, I them showed photos, was gonna charge $4.00 a line, nope nope, this area no one cares what there lot looks like.
If I don't pick up any line striping work this spring i'll be selling my striper.
Seal coating has been the best decision I've ever made, kinda easy money.
s175 skid loader
scag 72 turf tiger
Exmark Lazer Z E Series 52in
echo power equipment
Sealmaster TR-550
Powerliner 850
Ma-10 melter
Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

stripind

I started with striping but added seal coating this summer Margins are ok but u have to look for work
Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

you might want to hold on to your striper. sooner or latter u will get a lot or some lots and u will wish u still had it.

yes u will have to look for work for the first 3-4 yrs. then work will start comming to you (if u do good work).

ive seen a few mondays with no work, and by tuesday, theres more work than u can get done in 3 wks. things can change overnight more often than u think.

Hang in there horns, work gets a lot ezer to pick up after 3-4 yrs. every job u do gets u closer to new jobs by word of mouth. and those are the best jobs cause they almost sell themself.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree hang on to the striper. You'll use it eventually. My striper sat for about 18 months before I ever used it. Trust me when you have to compete for parking lots you'll be better off doing them yourself than subbing out. I missed out on a lot of work because I had a striper that I was subbing too and never got any jobs with his prices.
Posted via Mobile Device