Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Gunked up tank

Is it normal to have your tank have so much sand settle on the bottom that you can't even agitate it in the morning. I'm using Sealmaster coal tar sand mix, I believe it's about 3 pounds of sand per gallon. And I'm going by the 100/30 mix.

What can I do to fix this? Maybe up more water or I was thinking I might buy half sand mix coal tar half coal tar with out sand in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

it is normal for a man not to like being a human hydraulic system. maybe add your own sand, in the morning just b4 work. dont let a FULL tank sand load sit overnight.

3 lbs per is the best mix, but not all coaters use that much.

try 2 lb per. u dont want 2 just add water, that will thin out the sealer.

i sometimes stay away from hard up hill drives b cause they should have about 4 lbs per.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

there are viscosity modifiers like tarmax that thicken the mix to help suspend sand, but ovrenight it will still settle. there are other benefits from using tarmax & others as well.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

If you don't have the wiper blades on your tank sand will settle. Make sure you mix frequently while sealcoating and a little when you're done. I use 3 lbs per gallon and 30 gallons of water. I agree with Joe if you don't have hydro agitation and wipers thank drop down to 2lbs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

i think it would cost around $150 for parts + a couple welds, to change from a direct drive to a 3 or 4 to 1 reduction system (ez job).

sealer muck without sand can get you stuck if not mixed for a few days.

if you could find a cheep gear box & 5 hp, that system would then b cheep to install as well.

both could b done on a rainy day. food for thought.

on the last 150 dd i built, i installed three 1ft paddles 120 degrees apart, so your not trying to push more than one ft of paddle/wiper through the muck at one time. i think jcraft has two 3ft paddles 180 deg apart so YOU must push a 3ft er through the muck. that might require 2 men & a boy OR a reduction system.
makes me wish i had square plastic tank.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

So yesterday I took a lot of the gunk out by scooping and shoveling it out, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 25/30 pounds. I was able to agitate the tank effortlessly this morning. So I guess I'll have to lower the amount of sand mix a bit. I'll try one and a half to 2 pounds and see what happens.

As always fellas thanks for your advice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

you might not have to remove gunk. try standing on top of tank & stick a 8 ft 2x4 in the muck, use manway for pivot points & lever back & forth to break up muck just enough till you can take over with the crank.
if the crank turns effortlessly, somthing is wrong. thinner sealer is ez to work with but only lasts a year.

u might want to start mixing your own from raw, so u can find just the right mix 4 u. as well as see what the different modifiers will do for u & how much sand to use where. this stuff IS going to affect how long YOUR sealer lasts on a drive or lot. a good premix will b like a milk shake. a tiny bit to much tarmax or the like will give you sealer way to thick 2 use. step 1 is KNOWING what your buying, so you KNOW how much water to add, then u will KNOW how long YOUR drives will last.

it can get a bit tricky with viscosity modifiers, distributors, so on & so forth.