Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Navy blue colored sealer

This whole season i've been using Sealmaster water emultion. Lately, last couple weeks, i'm noticing after the driveway has dried for about a day the color seems to be dark navy blue/ midnight and not a very Charcoal grey black color. I'm not sure what that's about, anybody have I any idea how to fix this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2015, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

You using additive
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSEALER View Post
You using additive
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, top tuff by sealmaster
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2015, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

so did this blue start when u started using toptuff? ive never used it. i used V M with sealmaster, and it came out black black. sealer without additives takes a full 30 days to cure completly, and it gets a little blacker every day untill it gets to black black(30 days). so u may find different additives change things a bit. i think given enough time, it will b black black. straight seal m use to go on brown & dry black for me.
gennerally, when something seems different, you need to ask yourself, whats the last thing that i changed.
thats all i got. hope your new adventure is going well.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeE View Post
so did this blue start when u started using toptuff? ive never used it. i used V M with sealmaster, and it came out black black. sealer without additives takes a full 30 days to cure completly, and it gets a little blacker every day untill it gets to black black(30 days). so u may find different additives change things a bit. i think given enough time, it will b black black. straight seal m use to go on brown & dry black for me.
gennerally, when something seems different, you need to ask yourself, whats the last thing that i changed.
thats all i got. hope your new adventure is going well.
Hi Joe,

I haven't changed anything, only thing is it's been really hot lately and I've changed to a ceramic spray tip
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

so i guess water emultion is ct? if u havent used straight sealer/sand, try it. its some great stuff, i use it 60% of the time. some old timers tell me they dont use any additives. seems most of my customers like the flat black look. that comes from straight sealer, vm or tarmax, latex seems to come out shinny, maybe with a little blue tint. after talking to some oldtimers and years of exp, the only additives iam sold on are viscosity modifiers for sand suspending. they come out flat black black, makes for a harder surface, dry fast,reduce scuffing and resist fuel & oil damage. they also seem to irritate your skin more.

my brother seems to b sold on dimond shield, not me. but thats just me, i see a whole industry making the stuff & lots of coaters use them. food 4 thought.