Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Tapered filler?

Hello I have a driveway to do. It looks like a 2nd coat of tar was placed on the existing driveway but only half way. Half way up, to the back.
They must have tapered it in but now there is a 2 inch lip(aprox). The customer would like it tapered down so plows and shovels don't hit that 2 inch lip.

I've looked around for a good product to use. I'll be doing it all by hand ie. tamper, squeegee using Latex-ite product from HD.
I've done holes before but all those materials call for an edge around the product.
I was thinking of using the Trowel Patch product. Does this seem like a viable approach?

I've told the customer that anything used could get taken out with a plow hit. They rarely call for a plow but are tired of finding the lip while shoveling and jolting themselves.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

i think the infer-red guy could do the best job ot tapering that lip, and have it last.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for replying Joe.
I'm not sure what you mean though.
I'm doing the job. Just looking for some tips on what might work best.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont know of any products that will last on that job. infer-red guys have a heater (4x8...6x10 ect) to heat up the asphalt, add some hot patch, lute & roll or vibrate out. that would work out the best for a long time. would cost about $200 - $400 but will outlast anything that your going to do. so they could taper 2-3 feet easly.

if your hellbent on doing it yourself, consider heating it yourself, & pull some down, onto heated surface then tamp. maybe do 1 ft at a time & heat 5-6 in of upper & lower, pull some down from top to lower area and tamp.

the snow belt is very hard on products. good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Joe.
I'm sealing the driveway for them and they don't wish to put too much into it. This was the best fix I could think of for little expense. They know it might not last.
Appreciate your feedback.

Tim