Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking

Thanks , that driveway took me about 1 1/2 hours of spraying , took my time. Only guessing weight at 300 lbs. empty. Trailer is very handy with everything inside , summer and winter . What do you use for blocker boards ? You work by yourself ? I do , takes a little longer but then any mistakes are mine .
Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I work on my own as well, it takes me a lot longer than the competition but the end product looks better (and I don't have any hassle paying anyone else). I tape everything off, I use a painters tool to apply tape and 12" of paper at the same time. Average material cost on a 2 car driveway is about $5 for the tape/paper. Plus I cut in along the garage by hand with a small roller. Its probably a rookie type of move, but my customers all comment on how much "care" i put into the job. That is what I like about the job, having a happy customer with a nice driveway. This is perfect to run along the edges where there are curbs or sidewalks. A bit of a pain in the wind, but faster than moving boards around. For the boards up against the garage, I use the 2x4' cheap stuff from home depot, less than $3 per board. They last a long time. And I made up a guard from aluminum as well, with a kickstand on the back to help hold it in tricky situations. All in all works well, but setup takes awhile.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Have not tried masking paper yet , but maybe in near future . I bent some aluminum on 90 degree , works good for corners . Going to try some 2 by 4 foot aluminum sheets instead of wooden ones I have now . Blocker boards with a kick stand sounds like a good idea . I still use some 2 by 8 foot boards to lay down on sidewalks and end of driveway curbs. Rain here for next 2 days so jobs being postponed . Good to have jobs ahead.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking

Some people are funny and - or weird . 5 minutes after spraying a driveway today the lady wants to cut her grass . I tell her to wait until tomorrow because clippings will stick to her driveway . She then asked me if I filled the cracks which was never mentioned before . No I said , I told you I do not do crack filling . ( no cracks in her driveway anyways ) . She then tells me she does not like the shiny look . I tell her it is still wet and will fade down to a rich black color . 2 days ago when she called me she said she liked the driveway I did 1 block from her .
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

J F Gauvreau hows your sealing going this year , are you spraying Sealmaster or Blackmac ?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

A company near me is spraying acrylic , not sure if the product is inferior or the guy spraying does not care . One driveway they did and a month later had to spray again, same company and guy. Other driveways with caution tape still up are covered with lines and many spots that they missed . I like that they are doing terrible work because I have been getting phone calls and more work out of it .
Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have not been able to spray on a Monday or Tuesday all summer , too wet and - or windy . Weird summer .
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Finally able to spray on a Monday , good thing because calling for rain next 3 days . Hows everyone else doing ? Half done a driveway today a car pulls up and demands I drive 5 blocks now to give him a quote . I told him when I am done in half hour I will come down . He got angry and sped off while I was laughing at him . Some people .
Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Just paid $ 1.90 a litre in Barrie , they said going up another 15 cents a litre . Anyone want to share how much they are paying ?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

My stainless tips seem to work better than the ceramic ones , anyone else find this ? Sometimes think I am talking to myself on here .