Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I just switched over the ceramic last night. Did not notice a difference. I am having alot of issues with the wind. Seems each day has a bit of sun, rain and wind. Took August off, only did a few driveways. My old tip was clean, but left lines, new one did as well so I might have to adjust pressure again. Do I increase pressure to reduce lines? I can't remember what I did when I played with it last.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I find when a tip is leaving lines I switch it for another one without changing pressure or RPM . Some tips , even new ones just spray funny . Out of 10 new tips I have 4 that spray nice.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking

Starting a little earlier tomorrow , going to be real hot and humid . Plan on being home by 2 pm drinking a cold beer .
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ceramic tips is the ones I used the most, sometimes stainless steel. But for some reason the ceramic tips are garbage after 2 weeks. Not exactly 2 weeks but after a few weeks they just start spraying like crazy, the ceramic and plastic holder gets loose so the ceramic actually moves around causing crazy spray patterns.

When this happens I don't even bother and I throw it in the garbage and pick a brand new one. 2 weeks down the road, same thing happens, get rid of and replace.
Complete lawn care services
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I picked up a stainless steel tip to try, will give it a go soon. How often do you guys clean your tips/filters? And I guess how? Which tip size do you use most often? I use to 2 gallon per minute for driveway that have not been sealed, or the previous job was done awhile ago, and the 1.5 for everything else. Sometimes I think it goes on too thick even with the small tip...
Old 09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I use all stainless tips now , 8015 for when I am using blocking boards and 8002 for open areas . I have to walk fast with 8002 tips . All my ceramic tips are garbage , maybe a bad batch ? Had to postpone a good sized driveway today , way too windy . I clean my tips and filter in gas after every driveway .
Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to clean the tips and filter after every driveway as well, but then my sealer supplier mentioned that I only need to clean the tip before each spray, unless there is a long break between. I may go back to doing this. I actually had a little mason jar with gas that I just left the tips and filters in while in between jobs.

Either way, hoping the stainless works better. Still not had the chance to try it yet....too windy and too much to do around my house!! Ignored the honey do list far too long.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I put them in a glass jar with gas right after done spraying , when I get home I take the tips and filters out and blow them dry with air nozzle. I have ball valve shutoffs on the end of both wands , just cap them after removing filter and tips so they are air tight and ready to go for next driveway . I always run the wand back into the tank everytime before each driveway and my tips and filters are clean and dry in a plastic jar ready to go .
Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

A lady called me today for a quote on her driveway , said a guy did it last year for 40 bucks . I was curious so measured it up at 450 square feet , now that is lowballing for this area . Not sure what they sprayed or rolled but was all cracking and peeling off. Said she had used the same guy for years ! Sometimes you do get what you pay for .
Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Cold at night all week , not sure I want to spray when nighttime temps. are 40 degrees .