Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

bi weeklys ughhhh

This has probly been beaten to death on here but I need to vent!

Ive had it with bi weeklys expecting their lawn to look as good as the lawns that are cut weekly. They want something for nothing, thats how i see it.

You guys know its hard enough to keep on them on a 7 day schedule let alone a 14 day.

Im considering giving them ultimatums next spring, weekly or nothing and then not taking on any more bi weeklys.

What do you guys do?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bi weeklys ughhhh

Either tell them that you have to charge more for biweekly (like 50% more than weekly) for the wear and tear on machines and the extra time.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Obviously your prices are too high because I have so much work that if most of mine were not bi- weeklies I would never get it all done.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 50% more for bi-weekly. Right now I don't do any bi-weekly because most people don't want to pay it.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe offer a 10 day schedule instead. Just an idea.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bi weeklys ughhhh

My experiences with 10 day schedules isn't very good. They end up falling on the weekends or all on one day causing your schedule to be completely impossible.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We gladly do bi weekly accounts. They never tell you it doesn't need mowing, rarely complain, often have additional work although admittedly not as much as weekly. We also charge more for bi weekly mows. We stagger them so we keep our mowing list even for each week. Also during spring and fall the majority of bi weekly mows will allow us to mow weekly while its really growing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Someone else mentioned not doing biweekly cuts until mid July and I am likely going that route for a few of my current biweekly accounts going forward.
The last three seasons I've been able to cut them every other week, but this year the growth is insane and cutting every other week is just not practical for some lawns.

As of this year, the only biweekly accounts I will accept are those in the city where the lawns are about 20'x20', and the grass is slow growing because of all the mature trees along the street.

I just got off the phone earlier with a client explaining that I would be removing them from my route because I can no longer mow their lawn on a biweekly schedule. I'm set up for mulching and his lawn is huge and grows too fast.
I gave them "x" amount of time to find another service before I stop. He said he'd get back to me - may be willing to go weekly. We'll see. He tried that once before and then wanted to go biweekly. I think I'm calling him back and declining before I get burned with the "I don't think it grew much this week" crap.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Either tell them that you have to charge more for biweekly (like 50% more than weekly) for the wear and tear on machines and the extra time.
Exactly. That is what I do now. One of the first things I learnt from reading LS.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
We gladly do bi weekly accounts. They never tell you it doesn't need mowing, rarely complain, often have additional work although admittedly not as much as weekly. We also charge more for bi weekly mows. We stagger them so we keep our mowing list even for each week. Also during spring and fall the majority of bi weekly mows will allow us to mow weekly while its really growing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto, same here.