Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ya or na..cut my cost temp.

I know lowering the cost is not good business for me or any others but..first I have a elder customer who I've had for years that gives me two of her propertys and sometimes 3 + other work- I got (through her) two more of her friends (neighbors) so I got three of these pint size lawns in one block area. I do The first elder Ladys at a discount ($25) for all the other work She gives me and her other propertys are normal $35. One of the friends pint size front isn't growing much at all now. I've had to scale back to 10-day on others and her's at bi-week.. ( hers takes all of 12-15 minutes max) But I really should not cut the front until needed- Would it be 'wrong' to just mow the back @ $25 like I charge for my first property owners and tell her until front needs it it will just get the back done due to front not growing? Make sure she knows it goes back to norm when front get's mowed. I'm really more concerned on burning out the grass than I am on making the highest dollar as It won't break me. I know some would say 'no way' but.. I can't add chemicals and She waters always.

Last edited by mowisme; 08-03-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Personally, I tend to charge according to the work done. We have one large account that has water issues during wet weather. There are times in the spring we sometimes mow as little as 1/3 of the lawn, sometimes for multiple weeks. I discount the mowing accordingly, then charge by the hour to get the overgrown areas under control, if needed when it dries out.

It was the same way last year during the drought. I had some properties that only a portion of the lawn needed mowing, so I would discount those. I know some will argue to never do this, and I don't if it is only a matter of the growth being minimal, or those months where trimming lessens, but, fair is fair, and I find it difficult to charge full price when I'm mowing less than half the yard. I think, in the long run, things like this pay off in customer loyalty.