Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

FS 130 trimmer Problem

I just checking if anybody had problems with there 130.

I bought 2 130 and they are about month old. They started to act up at full throttle, they would lose rpm and if you let off it would die, or you can touch the primer and would throttle back up.
Dealer said they need to be adjusted, so I took them in, next day both started act up again.
Went back and told them again I talk to a different guy.

He said needs new carb.
He said they had problems with the carb # ending with a 10 .
The replacement carb # ending with 11
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've had one for several years and no issues.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

We had a mechanic once who would push a sewing needle through the in-tank fuel filter. Solved problem.
I found out and was freaked that the machines would foul up.
Some of the machines are still in my fleet 5 years later so I assume that debris damage to carb is not a high priority concern in relation to not running properly.

Although this resolution probably violates your warranty.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Turn up the fuel a little. There's a wot and an idle screw on the carb. Just make sure to do a little at a time and adjusting one will throw the other out of wack so you'll have to play with them a little. I found with all the stihl 4 mix equipment that the carbs start acting up after about a year or so and you can readjust for another year or so then I just replace the carb.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone605 View Post
Turn up the fuel a little. There's a wot and an idle screw on the carb. Just make sure to do a little at a time and adjusting one will throw the other out of wack so you'll have to play with them a little. I found with all the stihl 4 mix equipment that the carbs start acting up after about a year or so and you can readjust for another year or so then I just replace the carb.
I never had problem with FS110 had them for 4 yrs
One was hitting 5th year and piston rod went
So I bought 2 new FS130 Still running 2 FS110
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I put one new carb on and that thing it ran like a horse. Ran it Friday 2hrs 15mins straight never acted up Going today get another carb for the other 130
Dealer stack up on work they let me install under the warranty So the carbs isn't costing me anything just my 15min of labor.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Fs90R Same Issue

Same issue with my FS90R since new. If you are having starting issues too like me. I have determined it MAY be over use of primer bulb, flooding the engine.

Try starting it without using the primer bulb at all. 3 pulls, wont start, primer once, 3 pulls, wont start, primer bulb once again, repeat until it starts. It seems to run better, after I follow the above instructions.

This has been a 2 year process trying to figure this thing out and is ongoing.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta8erSalad View Post
Same issue with my FS90R since new. If you are having starting issues too like me. I have determined it MAY be over use of primer bulb, flooding the engine.

Try starting it without using the primer bulb at all. 3 pulls, wont start, primer once, 3 pulls, wont start, primer bulb once again, repeat until it starts. It seems to run better, after I follow the above instructions.

This has been a 2 year process trying to figure this thing out and is ongoing.
Mine starts fine never use the primer
My problem was at full throttle it would fall off then die to keep it from dieing light touch of the primer and its back at full rpms

Now when my FS110 got where they wouldn't start It was time to adjust the rockers

New Carbs fix the problem for now . These 2 130 is only issues I had with any my 4 mix sthils
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know, I used to run FS80's yrs ago, would buy it, run it for 10+ yrs, and not have one problem with them. They never failed to start, never bogged, never flooded, etc. I bought an FS90 back in 09' and had it in the shop more than it ran....piece of junk!!!!!! Bought an FS130 back in 10' and have never been happy with it....it wasn't right from day one and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it....that never happens!!!!It bogs a bunch, cuts off for no reason, floods on the way to the job sight, etc. The FS80, in my opinion, was the best trimmer ever built...I wish they could make them again-I'd buy 10 of them. I'm strongly considering Shindaiwa for my next trimmer....figure it couldn't hurt.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
You know, I used to run FS80's yrs ago, would buy it, run it for 10+ yrs, and not have one problem with them. They never failed to start, never bogged, never flooded, etc. I bought an FS90 back in 09' and had it in the shop more than it ran....piece of junk!!!!!! Bought an FS130 back in 10' and have never been happy with it....it wasn't right from day one and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it....that never happens!!!!It bogs a bunch, cuts off for no reason, floods on the way to the job sight, etc. The FS80, in my opinion, was the best trimmer ever built...I wish they could make them again-I'd buy 10 of them. I'm strongly considering Shindaiwa for my next trimmer....figure it couldn't hurt.
I thought FS86 was the best trimmer But they was heavy there was no plastic on them I think the shaft was steel I had these back in 80s
I had good luck with my FS110 I had one blow up it was on its 4th year rod went out and wasn't worth fixing it other 2 FS110 still running strong this there 3rd year.
I own lots different brands I keep falling back to sthil. I had one Shindaiwa it didn't make a season Echo was the same way. Ran Husq for 10yrs 336 models Dealer closed door So I went back to Sthil
With trimmer I like to use what the local dealers have easier to get parts in short amount of time.