Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly I am new to this site and hate reading a lot of stuff so, I can say I didnt realize this was the organic ONOY section. Honestly I just want the easiest do it yourself approach to feeding and weed control. Be it organic or synthetic, what ever is easiest and quickest with best results. I still havent gotten the answers to, what to put down and when. SO far I understand mowing (side discharge-mulch) the lawn 3-4 inches and heavy watering in the AM only. Other than that I just over seed in the summer and fall. I have no knowledge as to adding fertilizers and weed control. I did learn about Milorganite and will apply that 3 times a growing season I guess.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan82775 View Post
... Simple fix, turn the sprinklers off in the evenings and just water heavily in the early AM. Got it.. ...
If you do that every day, you are still overwatering... My guess is that your soil has the consistancy of axle grease, when you wants something more crumbly like dried cookie dough... if you don't let the soil dry out and get air to the roots, it won't make a bit of difference what else you do...

Fertilizer put down in June should be good for the Summer if it gets hot... IF it actually stays cool during the July/August period perhaps some more Milorganite would be in order... I typically wait until Aug 20th for the 2nd fert app... Then September 30th for the Winterizer...
Old 07-01-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Tank you so much. So.. a good 15 minute soak every other day for watering. I missed Junes fertilization so I am wondering if I can throw some down this week. Temps should be in the high 80s and high 70s with lots of rain each day. Is this a good time and if so what fertilizer organic or synthetic, do you recommend. Perhaps something with weed control this application.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weed control this time of year doesn't do much and I don't like 'granules' at all for broadleaf weed control... once the weather cools off in the later Summer you'll have much better luck 'spraying' the weeds...
As far as 15 minutes everyother day, it is hard to say w/out knowing the type of soil you have or how much water is put down during that 15 minutes... irrigation is better done at 1/2 inch of water twice a week so that it soaks deep into the root zone and also dries before the next irrigation event...
Myself, I think I've decided to wait until August for the next fertilization, but you could probably do some more Milorganite w/out worrying about burn...
When did you last put down fert???
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

the last fertilization I put down was last year. This spring was a cold never ending cold nights so it wasnt until mid may that I was able to over seed and let grow for 3-4 weeks. At this time, after the second mow, I was late May early June and applied some home made fertilizer with ammonia, well, I put down too much ammonia and killed all the new growth and yellowed the lawn. I am FINALLY, back to normal with the help of time, and a bag of milorganite. SO.... thats where I am at now. im green and growing again but still not at the best end of the desired spectrum but im luck for the mild summer so far. I do have some clover starting here and there and those AWFUL rapid growing light colored green things that pop up 6 inches taller than the grass, here and there. They have like 4 or 5 leaves and are very tall and pull out easily. What do you recommend for my current situation.

I will know exactly how to react come late august but what types of fertilizer and weed control specifically do you recommend.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
the last fertilization I put down was last year. This spring was a cold never ending cold nights so it wasnt until mid may that I was able to over seed and let grow for 3-4 weeks. At this time, after the second mow, I was late May early June and applied some home made fertilizer with ammonia, well, I put down too much ammonia and killed all the new growth and yellowed the lawn. I am FINALLY, back to normal with the help of time, and a bag of milorganite. SO.... thats where I am at now. im green and growing again but still not at the best end of the desired spectrum but im luck for the mild summer so far. I do have some clover starting here and there and those AWFUL rapid growing light colored green things that pop up 6 inches taller than the grass, here and there. They have like 4 or 5 leaves and are very tall and pull out easily. What do you recommend for my current situation.

I will know exactly how to react come late august but what types of fertilizer and weed control specifically do you recommend.
The "awful rapid growing light green things" is Nutsedge. The best bet depending on how much you have is spraying Sedgehammer on the plants when they are on the longer side. You can get gallon packets at John Deere Landscapes, ebay and I'm sure some other places. You can spray Nutsedge in the heat, as you're should only be misting the tops of the plants that are much longer than the turf. I would tell you to use molasses, but judging by some of your responses in this thread, you're a novice.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so aside from the sedgehammer for the nutsedge, what type of routine weed control would you suggest for the CLOVER and other types of weeds. And what type of routine lawn FEED.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ok, so aside from the sedgehammer for the nutsedge, what type of routine weed control would you suggest for the CLOVER and other types of weeds. And what type of routine lawn FEED.
How big is your lawn (square footage)?

I would go on 4 app schedule, early spring, late spring, early fall, late fall app of organic fertilizer. What fertilizer depends on lawn size and budget.

Weeds can be tricky. I know phasthound sells ADIOS, which is a sodium based product, but does have some restrictions. If you're not comfortable, find a local LCO to do weed control only apps, if you don't want to stay organic.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

My lawn is pretty small. Front is approx 40x35 back is about 40x25. No very big. So... Hit me with what you recommend. Specifics. Ill spend the loot tomorrow and pick up what I need
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could probably find some box store broadleaf herbicide that kills clover, before it get too large and established... that needs to have the roots killed becuz they impossible to pull and eliminate that way...

I've had bad luck with the broadleaf spray this Spring/Summer,,, I think it is because there was so much rain that the weeds overcame the effects of the herbicide and only the weakest ones died... So timing and growing conditions are always going to be an issue...

If I were in your situation I'd probably go pick up some fertilizer of 23-0-0 NPK or some such thing(no weed killer/preventer) and put the lawn on a sensible water schedule according to its needs...