Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

23-0-0 NPK any specific brand, and do you recommend granule over chemical. I do have a nice spreader and also a 10 gallon spray, hose connected, applicator.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use bags of granulated fertilizer and use spray for herbicides... the one thing to consider when buying fertilizer is the percentageof 'slow release',,, other wise I don't know that it makes a bit of difference whether you buy generic or name brand... your grass would know the difference...
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

ok so 23-0-0 means ONLY nitrogen ? phos and potassium are not there ?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Another question. Can I apply the granule 24-0-0 NPK , Milorganite, and chemical Herbicide, all on the same day.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
For starters, get a soil test first. Add organic matter. Seed in late Aug- early Sept. Use Jonathan Green Black Beauty.
Why does it seem that Jonathan green black beauty is being recommended so much this year? I can't count how many times I have seen it recommended, especially in th organic arena.

I have never used it but am being told it is a darker green? Along with the other positives of a tttf. But is here anything else that separates it from other tttf blends?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Milorganite IS fertilizer,,, only would be a safer non-burning fertilizer for the Summer heat... Granulated synthetic fertilizer may possibly burn the turf duringSummer heat when the grass is needing to go dormant rather than having more top growth forced upon it...
Yes, 23-0-0 is N only, no P or K... not necessary for turf all the time... K is generally included in the "Winterizer" and P is likely NEVER needed in mature lawns... Although P is naturally occurring in Milorganite...
Yes, you could spray weeds on the same day you apply fertilizer, but we are reaching the point now where actively growing doesn't really define how well the weeds will accept the herbicide... many plant will be closing the stomata to conserve water during the heat of Summer, so the transport to the roots will not be so effective... I probably won't even be spot spraying now until after Labor Day...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Well we are having the 10th rainiest sprain/summer in history so there is no dormant condition right now. I am going to apply milorganite, some scotts granule feed 28-0-0, and some liquid herbicide with a tea spoon of dawn soap in it.

My plan is to apply the granules and milorganite first with the broadcast spreader, then wet the lawn and apply the herbicide. I am hoping the herbicide kills the clover. The clover is popping up in a few spots along with the nutsedge and some other wide leafed thick type of thing from my neighbors side.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Should be OK... let us know if the clover dies...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

will do. Is there a specific herbicide you recommend? Lowes and Homedepot have many to offer in the liquid form. Ive seen stuff from Ortho and Roundup, just the basic herbicide.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clover will be more susceptible to some 'cides, than others, but I can't name which ones, right off hand... you might get lucky with a quick internet search...