Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Run Flat Rear Tires for ZTR

I saw a pair of these on a ZTR today. Interesting, I really wonder how they would ride. Any thoughts?

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/Ca..._tweel_010.jpg
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

You could probably buy a new mower for the cost of them. Probably dont come in our size anyhow.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

wow, I was thinking something like these:

Yea, I'm sure I could put about 500 tubes or 100 or so tires on my tractor before getting something like those.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually saw them on a mower and they are undoubtedly designed specifically for zero turns. They use the OEM wheel and they had turf tread just like your standard tire. They looked pretty squishy, i bet there was a 3 inch by 12 inch square of tire flat on the ground on the zero turn I saw with them on. I have no idea how much they would cost, but I agree, we don't have enough problems with rear tires to spend too much on something like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pja6vKnEV4E

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

Quote:
Polaris has not confirmed the exact pricing for the NPTs yet. A first indication says that the price of a single tire could easily exceed $500, making it around 30-50% more expensive than a conventional ATV tire and rim assembly. This is not surprising, breakthrough technologies are rarely cheaper from the start than the incumbent technologies. Airless tires will only become cheaper once they are mass-produced and production technologies mature. - See more at: http://www.airless-tire.com/?p=428#sthash.JdGq9E3h.dpuf

Last edited by jasonhc73; 07-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recently saw an article on the net showing them being tested and used on cars now. Give them a few years and the price will drop just like calculators did and computers, digital camera's etc etc
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I just wonder if they would actually be advantageous in our application. The ride would probably be rougher than a pneumatic tire, but maybe they would save weight? Obviously you wouldn't need to replace them until the tread was completely gone. It might also be easier to manufacture a tire like this so that the tread is a different kind of rubber than the "suspension" portion of the tire. This might allow them to dial in the durability and grip of the tire more so than a conventional pneumatic tire. I just thought it was interesting to see, something I had never thought about. The one I saw had way too much tread on the ground, if you turned that thing on wet grass I envision a square foot of sod being displaced. Thanks for the responses, and happy Independence day!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would think those things dialed in right for the weight of a Z would ride great, and their ability to flex over tree roots etc would be very handy as well.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

no more flats after lazy roofers get done with a new roof. i once got 4 flats after a roof job. nails in all 4 tires at once