Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Need some advice...

Hey all, I currently have about 17 accounts. Lately I feel like I am not being as productive as I should be, we have mostly residential. Some very large, some small with standard back yard gates. I have a Gravely Pro Turn 148 that will not fit in some back yards. We do operate a 21" push, but I feel like it is really taking away from our efficiency. I am extremely tempted to bite the bullet and purchase a new 36" hydro WB. Another reason I am trying to justify this purchase is that I have bid on a subdivision which would be great if we had two mowers running at the same time. Another piece of the puzzle is that my partner and I do not always work together, we are shift workers and on different shifts. Therefore, we are by ourselves most of the time. So the facts are that if we are working together, especially on the larger properties, we would benefit greatly from another mower. And of course if we are by ourselves, then, we will be using one or the other.....depending on the property. I have priced a few different WB mowers. Am I making sense or do I just have new mower fever? Being that we are still pretty new at our business, we dont have alot of cash laying around to put down, or fork over for used equipment. Financing just seems a little more logical at this point.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

since you in effect share the company what happens if you or him decide to close shop? Do you have to buy him out and sell all the gear?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, when I say partner I mean he helps me. All equipment is mine, as would be the additional mower. So yes, the liability is on me, to avoid that scenario of he would one day choose to take another path. We would not have to worry about one person buying out the other, or who gets what etc.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that you have a great idea, but you may be rushing into it a bit too quickly.

You should look for used stuff. A 36" hydro walk is a great investment, but at this point you don't have many clients in order to support a new purchase.

A few weeks ago I was looking on craigslist in my area for mowers. Just for fun. I found a Exmark turf tracer that was only 2 years old with a jungle wheels sulky for $2500! Keep your eyes open for things in your area, and you might just get lucky and find a great deal that would suit you and your company perfectly.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need some advice...

With no more accounts that you have and paying someone I'd like for a belt driven 36".
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
I think that you have a great idea, but you may be rushing into it a bit too quickly.

You should look for used stuff. A 36" hydro walk is a great investment, but at this point you don't have many clients in order to support a new purchase.

A few weeks ago I was looking on craigslist in my area for mowers. Just for fun. I found a Exmark turf tracer that was only 2 years old with a jungle wheels sulky for $2500! Keep your eyes open for things in your area, and you might just get lucky and find a great deal that would suit you and your company perfectly.
Yea this is great advice. I recently had a major jump in clients and I needed to upgrade to a W/B or ZTR. Since I'm fairly new as well funds are low. I also looked on Craigslist and found a guy willing to barter for a hustler Mini Z with relatively low hours on it. As it stands I'll have the ZTR within a week and I'll just work it off in labor for him until seasons end.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Partner and borrowing money.......YIKES!

I once bought a Ferris 36" single hydro from a LS member for 800$. That was 6 years ago and its still a great machine.