Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 PM
AmericanLawn&Landscape's Avatar
AmericanLawn&Landscape AmericanLawn&Landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 130
Going legal, confused.. help!

i'm just really confused on how to go legal at this point.
basically,

- I want a registered business name through the county as "American Lawn & Landscape"
- I need ins. about 2 million in coverage, to cover; plowing, lawn mowing, my equipment, and trucks, etc..
- I'm going to get a USDOT number, because I eventually want to get a dump truck, big equipment, etc..
- I want to do a lot of advertising after i'm legal
- I want to eventually hire people, and get workmans comp. I want a huge operation, that's my main goal
- I'm just confused basically at this point, how to go about everything; taxes, business accounts through the bank, managing my invoices and accounts, and contracts, etc.. I NEED HELP

I know this question is asked by everyone, but I just want the dumbed down version of it.. please and thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,279
You do not get a DOT number because you will eventually need one. You get a DOT no. when you actually need one.

Most Landscape business' are required to have $500,000 liability ins.

Though for $20 more a year I got $1,000,000 coverage.

Contact the local SBA or SCORE office for advice. Initially you will need a EIN number, sales tax number, WC exemption being you are working solo.

Employees and other things have to wait until you have more work every week then you can handle.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM
RedDuty's Avatar
RedDuty RedDuty is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 614
In the State of Michigan you do not need a sales tax number for lawn care. Only individuals or businesses that sell tangible personal property to the final consumer need a sales tax license. A sales tax license is not required for contractors or subcontractors, since they are the final consumers of the materials they affix to real property, as well as businesses that repair, improve, or alter tangible personal property owned by others. However, businesses, who sell tangible personal property in addition to providing labor or a service, are required to obtain a sales tax license, ie a Landscape Installation company receiving wholesale goods, then selling them to a customer. If you charged sales tax on lawn care services, you'd make no money.
__________________
Ford
Bob-Cat & Exmark
Just building piece by piece
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
K&L Landscaping K&L Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: western NC
Posts: 657
I know in the Peoples Republic of NC when you go legal you have unleashed the dogs of war...on yourself. We are subjected to so many different taxes here it's ridiculous. Federal tax, state tax, city tax, county tax, personal property tax. In fact, the county is coming to inventory my equipment fleet and office products this Friday. Being a business owner isn't the utopia that most people think it is.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 PM
AmericanLawn&Landscape's Avatar
AmericanLawn&Landscape AmericanLawn&Landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&L Landscaping View Post
I know in the Peoples Republic of NC when you go legal you have unleashed the dogs of war...on yourself. We are subjected to so many different taxes here it's ridiculous. Federal tax, state tax, city tax, county tax, personal property tax. In fact, the county is coming to inventory my equipment fleet and office products this Friday. Being a business owner isn't the utopia that most people think it is.
Sounds awful, Michigan isn't that bad from my understanding; my grandpa owns a junkyard, and my cousin a heating and cooling company.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 AM
CL&T CL&T is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 491
Quote:
I want a huge operation, that's my main goal... 17 years old
Another one.

When you are 18 talk to an attorney and accountant.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Stars & Stripes Landscaping Stars & Stripes Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Another one.

When you are 18 talk to an attorney and accountant.
I have to ask, why do you say "Another One"? Is it a dig that he's young, has dreams and aspirations on becoming a large successful property landscaping company? I say props to him, he's young and will hopefully continue to be a hard worker unlike my fellow generation who are lazy, good for nothing bastards who just want to play video games and mooch off their parents.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 AM
AmericanLawn&Landscape's Avatar
AmericanLawn&Landscape AmericanLawn&Landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Another one.

When you are 18 talk to an attorney and accountant.
if your implying "another one" because i'm young and have huge goals, you don't know me. I was planning on talking to an accountant or something, i'm almost 18. I'm not just "another young kid", I've been around the landscape business since I was young, and both my grandpas were very successful owners. My one grandpa has one the biggest and was once the biggest junkyard and towing in this part of Michigan. At a young age I was taught to set goals, and work towards them to be successful. If I wanted something, it came with dedication and hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecster View Post
I have to ask, why do you say "Another One"? Is it a dig that he's young, has dreams and aspirations on becoming a large successful property landscaping company? I say props to him, he's young and will hopefully continue to be a hard worker unlike my fellow generation who are lazy, good for nothing bastards who just want to play video games and mooch off their parents.
Thanks tecster.. I guess that's how it works lol. Everyone judges a book by the cover, because i'm just turning 18. I must be such a hack, lazy, shotty work. Even though i'm here trying to get information on HOW TO GET COMPLETLY LEGAL.. haha.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Stars & Stripes Landscaping Stars & Stripes Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLawn&Landscape View Post
Thanks tecster.. I guess that's how it works lol. Everyone judges a book by the cover, because i'm just turning 18. I must be such a hack, lazy, shotty work. Even though i'm here trying to get information on HOW TO GET COMPLETLY LEGAL.. haha.
Stay positive, be honest, stay motivated and work hard and don't grow too fast - remember, slow and steady wins the race! I'd much rather make 50-60k a year and be solo then make 100k for one year and lose it all.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Marshmallow's Avatar
Marshmallow Marshmallow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 325
What are you doing that's illegal? You don't have to do much to make it a legit business. Most of it is paying a ridiculous fee to become LLC insured etc...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.07568 seconds with 9 queries