Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
If you have 26 accounts and struggle that bad , you either need to pay yourself less, or charge more. Not trying to be a butt, but to me that doesn't add up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im not sure you understand how this works. That can be as little as 500/week if some are biweekly, which you can barely live off. I need to bill atleast 250/day to stay a float! So while going to school, paying off a business loan, school loan and trying to feed yourself off 9 current accounts makes sense? Run what you have and count your money. How do you plan to run this business while at school? Is this college close to home. This is a year round job for most guys, and dont expect to have 20-30 accounts next year. You cant plan growth based on customers you dont have. Also remember that you may not even have 9 clients next year. People move, or hire someone cheaper all the time.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-30-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

You couldn't have an account over 35 dollars then. I have little overhead, I bid correctly, and people are happy with my work. I have no school loans because I will have a free ride to college. The college is close to home, I will live at home. I will already have at least 2 college credits out of the way before I graduate high school. I work year round. I will have 20-30 accounts next year. If I don't have a vision, why do I even put equipment on the trailer.

99 Ford F-250 Superduty 7.3 PowerStroke
7x16 OPEN TRAILER
48" SNAPPER PRO S-150 XT
REDMAX 7001B BACKPACK BLOWER
Stihl FS 90 R
(The only equipment I'm proud of owning)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Im not sure you understand how this works. That can be as little as 500/week if some are biweekly, which you can barely live off. I need to bill atleast 250/day to stay a float! So while going to school, paying off a business loan, school loan and trying to feed yourself off 9 current accounts makes sense? Run what you have and count your money. How do you plan to run this business while at school? Is this college close to home. This is a year round job for most guys, and dont expect to have 20-30 accounts next year. You cant plan growth based on customers you dont have. Also remember that you may not even have 9 clients next year. People move, or hire someone cheaper all the time.
Cannot emphasize this enough. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, or so they say... Everyone goes about running their business a different way, however there is one common denominator between all business success, and the key to being in business, is staying in business. Do yourself a favor and use a savings acct. Because while its great when the money comes in, it's not so great when grass isn't growing and you have bills to pay. You don't have bills right now, and you don't need to. I know you want to look like every other guy out there with the big stuff, but trust me, that all comes with a price. Grow slow, do good work, and stay in business. That will bring you everything you want.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, sorry that I came across snappy to Vanderhoff. I apologize for that. I didn't realize how butt holish my reply sounded till I read it a couple times. Thanks for all the input!

99 Ford F-250 Superduty 7.3 PowerStroke
7x16 OPEN TRAILER
48" SNAPPER PRO S-150 XT
REDMAX 7001B BACKPACK BLOWER
Stihl FS 90 R
(The only equipment I'm proud of owning)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not struggling. I'm just saying that adding any debt now is not a good idea. Grow slow but steady.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You're not crazy, naive maybe.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
You couldn't have an account over 35 dollars then. I have little overhead, I bid correctly, and people are happy with my work. I have no school loans because I will have a free ride to college. The college is close to home, I will live at home. I will already have at least 2 college credits out of the way before I graduate high school. I work year round. I will have 20-30 accounts next year. If I don't have a vision, why do I even put equipment on the trailer.
Stop living in dream land. Just because one advertises does not mean one will get 20 new customers every year. If getting customers was that easy we would all have to give up being solo and will be adding another crew at least every 2 years.

Going into debt and or spending all one's cash reserves is why many businesses crash and burn.

I want to buy many things for my business. I wait till it is necessary to buy. Because I know the difference between a need and a want.

Remember a mirage is a vision also.

What to you get for a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 acre mows?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I get about 50 dollars an acre. But I never charge less than 30 dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Full ride to college? They dont just hand those out. If you are serious about this business than I would wait until after college to even try and expand too far. Get enough work where your busy but not crazy and then just work through college. After college is done you can focus 100% on the business. I still dont think you understand that you are not guaranteed 20-30 accounts next year. Im not trying to bash you or your thinkings, but you seem to be living in a dream land.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Become familiar with the word attrition. This happens in any business, not just lawn business. Simply put you will lose customers. They will die, they will move, they will buy their own lawnmower, they will have a child or grandchild that will start cutting the lawn for them... and that customer that talks about how great of a job you do and how happy they are with your service WILL drop you. Even if I don't want any new customers because I am happy with the work load I have (which is not the case but stay with me for a sec), I still have to get new customers each and every year to make up for attrition. Heck, I've got an MBA but I can guarantee you that there are LCO on this site with no college ed that are making 10x what Im pulling in. Sorry if I ranted a little, but I agree with the other posters... grow and expand as your business does, not on what you think or hope will happen. And stay away from loans for equip, pay cash.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader