Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

General daily crew instructions

Working on a instruction/checklist list for each client to serve as a reminder of what services are to be performed at each job.

Mowing - all turf mowed at proper cutting height
- double cut if necessary to disperse clumping
- remove sticks, limbs, and pine cones

Trimming/edging - all beds, curbs, walks, drives, etc should be trimmed/edged
- special attention to areas mower can't reach(example .. Corners or tight spots

Blowing - all hard surfaces should be cleaned off
- grass clumps should be dispersed
- watch corners of stoops and decks
- move obstacles to make sure you can get behind things
- trash or leaves should not be blown into grass.

Beds - remove sticks and limbs
- trim and/or spray for weeds at every stop

Miscellaneous - pick up trash
- limbs/sticks/etc should be placed at curb or in compost can
- make not on possible side jobs needed

I would then make a special note for clients we do extra services for.

Is this too much? Could I shorten some items? Did I leave anything out?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

"- make not on possible side jobs needed"

What?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk60 View Post
"- make not on possible side jobs needed"

What?
Note. Ipad typo

I ask my head guy to make a note of any problems or side jobs we might suggest to the client.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's how you condense it: "Mow, edge,trim, pick up sticks and trash....make sure the place looks good before you leave....then remember what you did so that next week I don't have to tell you again."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
Here's how you condense it: "Mow, edge,trim, pick up sticks and trash....make sure the place looks good before you leave....then remember what you did so that next week I don't have to tell you again."
Posted via Mobile Device
IF I had employee's, that is what I'd tell them.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
It sounds that easy but believe me its not. Its always them doing the bare min to keep their job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
It doesn't work like that. Especially if your crew is serving 20 yards a day almost 100 a week how do you expect them to remember every particular. Each owner has their own little preferences. This also allows you to transition new or changing employee to lawn service crew with less problems and no explanation time, " Bob, just check the charts".
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Good job. I think it's a very good start. You are correct to implement a written job plan/responsibility check list for your crew.

An extra, although excessive, step might be to give the responsible employee a cheap digital camera (with date/time correctly set) to visually record/confirm work has been done vs. just "screw-it and check it off so we can get out of here". Tends to increase "positive" pressure when there is evidence. You could then review photos daily/weekly.

Alternately, if using a smartphone - the photo could be taken immediately following the checklist walkthrough. Have him send you the photo at that time. That then provides you with an extra management tool - you know when the job was completed, when they are ready to move on to the next job and thus, an estimate of each job's work time and travel time b/t jobs.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
It doesn't work like that. Especially if your crew is serving 20 yards a day almost 100 a week how do you expect them to remember every particular. Each owner has their own little preferences. This also allows you to transition new or changing employee to lawn service crew with less problems and no explanation time, " Bob, just check the charts".
Actually it does work like that. Anyone should be able to remember, from one week to the next, what the routine is for each lawn. Obviously not for a new guy but for employees who've been with you for months or years the whole thing should become routine and natural. Not sure why someone would have to be told over and over and over to pick up sticks and to disperse grass clumps. It sounds to me like your employees are either really dumb or aren't good workers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Tom-N-Texas; 07-01-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to figure the harsh words. Tom and Orange have a lot of good advice, based on experience, to offer. If someone doesn't like it, don't take it, but they should be treated like the good men they seem to be.

I concur that I don't see the need for a list. It's hot, hard work so even if you give them a list do you really think they're going to read it after every lawn?

I don't know what the solution is for employees. Some have really good luck. Others, like me, don't. I finally gave up trying to deal with the nimrods and find life so much more enjoyable solo. I know that eventually I'll try it again. But if I have to make a list for them for each lawn...