Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You're a funny guy, what would you do if you had work lined up from here to no end?
And it rained the last 3 days so you didn't get much done.
You'd take the day off?
Really?

You'd lose customers?

Worse still, you'd wait another day so you can really slave because the grass in my necks is as high as the mower will tolerate and I mean to tell you I don't cut "short" grasses so you let it go one more day and you're going to be tarping and raking clumps, it's already real borderline and I have one or two that ARE going to kill me (we're talking HOURS for one yard) and you would wait one more day?

That what you would do?

Sorry man, I can't do that, it really can't wait another day.
I've had folks begging me to do other work for weeks now.

So at present I'd rather work a holiday than slave a work day.
Before everyone got into the biz, I had 80 customers for many years. I got to know these people. So being late was not much of a problem when it came to not working Memorial day and the 4th. Most sane customers expected me to take off on Holidays. I just worked longer hours to do yards in advance and some were a few days late. No big deal. Many on here say they go in business for themselves for the freedom. Where is that freedom when you say you have to mow lawns on National Holidays? So I said choosing to do so is one thing and having to do so is another.
I really don't care who works when but just for the sake of this thread discussion... Ok so who is going to work Labor day
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There was a chance of rain Monday -Wednesday. Monday was a total wash. Pushed my Monday clients back to Tuesday. Called my Tuesday clients Monday night and told them bc of the rain I would service them on Wednesday. Had my brother and my son help me on Wednesday and I did both My Tuesday & Wednesday customers on Wednesday. It was an early start and a late finish. There was only 1 lawn left for me to do early on the 4th. Not 1 complaint. Everything got done and I was poolside on the 4th by 11:00 am.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't really need a day off in this business. i already have 3 day weekends every week pretty much.

i managed to get 1 yard mowed yesterday morning before the rain started. it's rained all day here for 3 days straight. 4th, 5th, and 6th. so pretty much a 4 day weekend thanks to the rain.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Before everyone got into the biz, I had 80 customers for many years. I got to know these people. So being late was not much of a problem when it came to not working Memorial day and the 4th. Most sane customers expected me to take off on Holidays. I just worked longer hours to do yards in advance and some were a few days late. No big deal. Many on here say they go in business for themselves for the freedom. Where is that freedom when you say you have to mow lawns on National Holidays? So I said choosing to do so is one thing and having to do so is another.
I really don't care who works when but just for the sake of this thread discussion... Ok so who is going to work Labor day
I agree with you...only nutjobs would complain about not working on a holiday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The only day I really refuse to mow is Christmas day.

Seeing as I'm in Pittsburgh, that sort of works out for me since there's no grass to mow in December anyway.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To me it all boils down to being in a weather driven profession.
I don't purposely try to work a holiday, but when the weather dictates I must, well, then I will.
I WOULD have worked on the 4th this year, and all weekend too, but it's rained and rained and rained some more. (My sump pump is running nonstop as I type.)
I won't pull up and fire up mowers with a picnic in full swing-but I know my clients well enough to know who doesn't mind a holiday cut if it's needed.
Every year is different-last year it was 99 degrees on the 4th and things were already pretty toasty-So I've had 2 4th's off in a row, for completely different reasons!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
The only day I really refuse to mow is Christmas day.

Seeing as I'm in Pittsburgh, that sort of works out for me since there's no grass to mow in December anyway.

You don't do snow removal? Seems like I'm out either pushing snow, blowing snow or ice control on Christmas. On a side note who knows what this winter will. Suppose to be warm for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
You don't do snow removal? Seems like I'm out either pushing snow, blowing snow or ice control on Christmas. On a side note who knows what this winter will. Suppose to be warm for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Meh. Pittsburgh is a crapshoot when it comes to snow removal.

Most times there's as much need for mowing as there is for snow removal. None.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hows this for working on the fourth? Customer called and left us this voicemail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZVfrVtxWY
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Hows this for working on the fourth? Customer called and left us this voicemail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZVfrVtxWY
You ignorant, inconsiderate bastage.