Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

People amaze me!

Had a lawn in may that is Zoysia. I needed to raise my deck as high as it would go and after the cut it would look butt ugly. I spoke with the homeowner and gave some recommendations. First I explained the height is unmanageable and cutting Zoysia that high was unhealthy. I even called the county extension office and had them agree with what I wanted to do. So the client agreed on my price for me to chop it down shorter. I went from 4" to 2.75" and this turf looked bad. I told the home owner that sometimes things must be ugly in order for it to look better.
A week later the owner owners mom calls me complaining about what I done. She said she will not pay me and after talking with her fertilizer guy that I killed her lawn.
A month goes by and I e-mailed the home owner her late notice and followed up with a phone call. The mom calls and was ugly as sin. She said now that I'm no longer servicing the property that the lawn looks great. She still insisted on not paying me. I tried to explain to her the reason why her lawn now looks better and it was because I spent 4 hours cutting and bagging the turf.
In 13 years of doing this I've never had to beat down a Zoysia lawn like this. I would not attempt to do this in the heat of summer but I fixed the problem then get labeled as the bad guy,
I'm inches away from taking the home owner and her mother to small claims court just for the principle. I've explained how badly the lawn would look. I drove by the house yesterday and it's looking great.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

People who are uneducated make idiots of themselves in the eyes of those who are. Small claims court can be expensive. Id just keep sending them a bill every 15 days

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

She may or may not be right, I see the articles talking about mowing the stuff down to the dirt but that's a surprise to me, you have to ask yourself how many times have you cut Zoysia and year after year studied the effects of both low and high cuts or are you just going by what the results on Google turn up, that's not something I'm willing to get into but I cut Zoysia same height as everything else I cut and it looks best cut high in my opinion.

Everytime I've cut Zoysia short it ends up browning out in the heat, so I cut it high and then it looks nice and green.
Why those articles speak of cutting that stuff almost to the dirt, I couldn't tell you. What I do know is half the folks selling Zoysia at the store have never tended a Zoysia lawn themselves so the advice they give is more hearsay than anything else, whose word do we take, I prefer the voice of experience.

And I also know Zoysia is very expensive, roughly four thousand dollars for a quarter of an acre.

Now you can try and take her to court and you might even win but I can assure you that once word gets out that might be the last time you win so I would let her keep the money, at least she won't cry foul too hard...

Last edited by herler; 06-30-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
She may or may not be right, I see the articles talking about mowing the stuff down to the dirt but that's a surprise to me, you have to ask yourself how many times have you cut Zoysia and year after year studied the effects of both low and high cuts or are you just going by what the results on Google turn up, that's not something I'm willing to get into but I cut Zoysia same height as everything else I cut and it looks best cut high in my opinion.

Everytime I've cut Zoysia short it ends up browning out in the heat, so I cut it high and then it looks nice and green.
Why those articles speak of cutting that stuff almost to the dirt, I couldn't tell you. What I do know is half the folks selling Zoysia at the store have never tended a Zoysia lawn themselves so the advice they give is more hearsay than anything else, whose word do we take, I prefer the voice of experience.

And I also know Zoysia is very expensive, roughly four thousand dollars for a quarter of an acre.

Now you can try and take her to court and you might even win but I can assure you that once word gets out that might be the last time you win so I would let her keep the money, at least she won't cry foul too hard...
Seems he already knows what he is doing. He cut it down to the proper height and the lawn is now looking great. Now what was it he did wrong you say?

I hope you're not talking about YOUR voice.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a Zoysia lawn early in my business, when I was all concerned about stripes.
I read what I could and indeed found everyone said to cut it short.
I didn't do that, I cut it about 3.5 like everything else and it striped great.
Neighbors walking by said they wanted to walk barefoot in it and one actually did.
I did find out if you cut too much off it cuts the green off temporarily like Bermuda but, it greens up pretty fast.
Funny, around here (zone 7) Zoysia is the last to green in the spring and the first to brown in the fall.
But, it does look awesome when it's green.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

zoysia should be cut short and with a reel mower. I don't think you did anything wrong. You could have taken it down in 2-3 stages but regardless it won't hurt the grass at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Great news as I got my check in the mail today. What ticked me off was the arrogance in this woman's voice. If I'm in the wrong I'll admit it and carry on. When I'm in the right I'll defend my stance regardless. I take pride in looking back on turf I manage and it bothers me that this woman refuses to understand why her lawn is now looking awesome... Anyway, thanks guys for the replies and this mission is complete!