Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Stander? Vs others?

I've been browsing this forum for a long time, but haven't decided to join until just recently.

I come to you this evening to ask whether or not a stander is worth it. I'm curious to know its pros and cons, and it's pros and cons against sitting-ztrs and walk behinds.

The only thing turning me away from a stander right now is the price in comparison to the other machines. I'd love some information from wright, John Deere, toro and exmark stander users... And the people that choose to not use them.

I feel-personally-that a stander is less space consuming(?) in comparison to a WB with a sulky and in residentials, space is already limited.!

Any info is definitely appreciated!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

im following this one too...ive been eyeing up a 48 inch Vantage X, but cant decide if it will be worthwhile or not.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

For side discharge I love our stander x. Much more comfortable to use all day then a sit down and much easier to duck and get under low trees and bushes. We don't bag with it though, we use a walker to bag. If you do a lot of bagging I would look into a compact bagger or a sit down with a track vac system.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a stander is about the most versatile mower out there. you can't beat them for maneuverability, speed, and, visibility. they are much more productive than walk behinds, yet more maneuverable than sit down ztr's.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

l

If you get on and off the machine to move things alot, or compactness on a trailer, do things like trailer CTs that type cutting. Real small lots where you are cutting less than 5 minutes kinda stuff, if you are cutting rough ground and sitting bothers your back. Sometimes they are easy to push and get unstuck, you do not have to worry about wearing the seat out, they are usually good for wheelies as well.

Other than that I will take a rider.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will never have a mower with a seat again. Stand-on mowers are the only way to go. Now if you have a lot of banks you will need a walk-behind also. Best combo IMO 52" stand-on and a 48" walkbehind.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have all three in my equipment fleet and they all have a very specific purpose:

1) Scag V-Ride: awesome machine for relatively flat terrain that doesn't have many trees. Using a stander on a property with multiple trees is a huge PITA! Contrary to what some may say it's not great on hills, even when stepping off and using it as a walk behind. There isn't enough weight on the back tires for it to be optimal as a walk behind. Again, wonderful machine on flat, open ground.

2) Snapper Pro walk behind: As you can imagine, this unit is only used on our very hilly properties. We can put this mower in places where a stander or a sit down Z wouldn't even consider going. Not used all that much but is incredibly valuable when it is used.

3) Snapper Pro ZTR: These are the most used and the most practical for 75% of our properties. If I was in a position where I absolutely had to choose one mower it would be the sit down mowers.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One other thing about standers, they can be safer on hills if you lose control because you can jump off.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Stander

I have a Great Dane 34" stander. I love it. At 34" deck it will fit through any gate. I hardly get off it at the site even when I have to go through a gate to get to the back.

A client just filled in an area to the back of his property that forces me to use a 22" Toro self propelled because the slope is about 60 degrees otherwise I have not found a property it could not handle.

It was worth the extra money in time and effort saved.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good read on standers.

http://mobile.greenindustrypros.com/...reasons-to-buy

Posted via Mobile Device