Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

2001 7.3 vs 1994 12v Cummins, help me decide!!

Whats up everyone, I currently own a 2001 Ford f-350 7.3 single cab long bed, it has 175k on it and I bought it last fall to start plowing with for this past winter and I will use it for landscaping this spring.

A friend of a friend is selling a 94' 12 valve cummins 2500, single cab long bed with only 136k on it, no rust, it's from Missouri for 5 grand but I'm gonna see if hell take 4 for it, what should I look for in the cummins to see if it's a good deal, any particular things with the motor or body of the truck....

Should I keep my truck or go with the cummins, help me decide!!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you sell an '01 to buy a '94? I always thought people sold their trucks/equipment to move into something new/newer. Not the other way around. Either way, I'd stick with your 7.3. Good engine and a decent truck. The Cummins is a good engine, but those 90's Dodge's were crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That cummins will run forever but the truck is slowwwww and the rest of the truck will fall apart.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

buy the cummins stick it in your ford and you'll never need to buy another truck
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Well a nice 12v cummins with low miles and no rust for around 4 grand seems like an good deal and an awesome work truck as well...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

What do you intend to use the truck for? Will it be your new plow rig, a back up truck, or a straight up swap for your current (presumably functional) truck? Even if the engine is bullet proof, you're still talking a truck that is 20 years old. Is it a manual or a automatic? Keep in mind the additional expenses that an additional truck will bring, registration, insurance, upkeep.

I'd offer 4k then try and flip it for a few bucks if you have the time and desire to do so.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bautieri View Post
What do you intend to use the truck for? Will it be your new plow rig, a back up truck, or a straight up swap for your current (presumably functional) truck? Even if the engine is bullet proof, you're still talking a truck that is 20 years old. Is it a manual or a automatic? Keep in mind the additional expenses that an additional truck will bring, registration, insurance, upkeep.

I'd offer 4k then try and flip it for a few bucks if you have the time and desire to do so.
I'm thinking bout selling my 7.3, I can get about 10-11 grand for it, and if I do that, then yes the dodge will be my new tow rig for my trailers and plow rig in the winter.

Also flipping it after I buy it is a great idea as well, I thought about that and what would you think I would be able to get for it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

like someone else said. The engine is great. The whole rest of the dodge is crap. You will be going through front end parts every year plowing. Not in a million years would i go from a 01 to a 94 as my regular vehicle. id buy it and sell it or put the cummins in your ford.