Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What would you do?

So here's the deal. I have an 08 F150 4.6L 4x4. Great truck, 60K with a new trans due to a faulty torque converter. I want to plow residential drives this year, just my maint contract customers. I can go two routes. Option 1, spend the money on a second truck that I don't wish to spend until next year when I plan to do more commercial and run a 1 ton, then put a plow on it. Option 2, buy a plow for my truck, and void the warranty that I have 40K left on, and save a good amount of money to get through the winter with. I don't need a second truck yet, but with the way things are going I will by next winter. I know the smarter of the two options would be get a 3/4 or 1 ton, but am I crazy to get a plow for my 1/2 ton for some drive ways?
Thanks for any help and advice given.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think you're crazy. Plenty of guys on PlowSite run plows on 1/2 tons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My son is going to run a plow on his ranger this year until he saves up the money for a mason dump next year. It will make it through the year no problem. They are great vehicles that not only give you good visability and space to turn around and such but also with a 7 foot 6 plow you can do all drives no matter how small that larger plows cant.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I figure it can be done easily. Western now makes a HTS that only weighs 400+ pounds. I figure some Timbrens I would be good. Basically my thing is that the truck is financed. I still owe 13 on the thing. I bought it in HS before I really went full time in this biz. I want to pay this truck off before I pick up a second truck, and I want to plow in the winter and not just snow blow if I can help it, and make a lot more money. My gut is telling me put a plow on the F150, just sucks to get rid of a warranty. I guess if the truck was paid off I would feel better, but It's not like I'm going to be doing huge parking lots with the thing.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just dont beat the thing to death and youll be fine. No need to plow at 50 mph. Just go easy on it and youll be fine. Is the 4.6 a V6?(Chevy guy sorry) Ill suggest you plow with(during) the snow fall rather than after to make sure you arent pushing the truck too hard. Youll be fine

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Just dont beat the thing to death and youll be fine. No need to plow at 50 mph. Just go easy on it and youll be fine. Is the 4.6 a V6?(Chevy guy sorry) Ill suggest you plow with(during) the snow fall rather than after to make sure you arent pushing the truck too hard. Youll be fine
Oh yeah the trucks my baby so plowing with it would be a delicate matter! I plowed with a 2011 F250 at my old apartment job and I babied that thing too.
The 4.6L is the smaller V8 (compared to the 5.4) so I still get decent torque out of it. Plus a new trans is nice as well. I'm gonna go talk to my Boss dealer and my Western dealer to see what my options are. I think I'm pretty set on throwing a plow on it now. I think if I do get a plow I'll run a second battery as well. Thanks for the input man.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think personally i'd find a beater to throw a plow on. you can use it for a year or two and probably still get your money back out of it being that it has a plow on it. thats alot of warranty left to up and throw away, especially when the plowing will be that much harder on it...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I know... I just don't really want to spend 2g on a junk truck then put a plow on it, then have to spend another 5-10g for another presentable second truck next year. That 2g can pay a lot of bills. It is a lot of warranty, that's for sure. Idk, I guess when fall roles around I'll have to make the decision based on what my customer base for plowing would look like. I figure it would only be for one season, after that it will be a back up.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It can be done with the half ton, but do you want to spend a few grand on a plow youre only going to use one winter? Maybe upgrade a bit early? Or look for a used plow that you wont take as much of a hit on when you try and sell it again next year.

The biggest thing that would drive me crazy would be voiding the waranty on the truck.. how much plowing do you have to do? You just gotta weigh the pros and cons of each. Most importantly make sure that it makes financial sense. Putting a plow on the truck also really effects the "sellability" of the truck. Most people looking for a half ton will run away real fast if there is or was a plow on it, whether it did damage to it or not
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
It can be done with the half ton, but do you want to spend a few grand on a plow youre only going to use one winter? Maybe upgrade a bit early? Or look for a used plow that you wont take as much of a hit on when you try and sell it again next year.

The biggest thing that would drive me crazy would be voiding the waranty on the truck.. how much plowing do you have to do? You just gotta weigh the pros and cons of each. Most importantly make sure that it makes financial sense. Putting a plow on the truck also really effects the "sellability" of the truck. Most people looking for a half ton will run away real fast if there is or was a plow on it, whether it did damage to it or not
To me it would make more financial sense to put the plow on my truck and not get a second truck if I truly do not need it yet. Winters are 6 months of uncertainty and I would like to have my savings acct as full as possible. My plowing would consist of residential driveways (20+) and possibly a small condo complex (one drive), but that's as of now. My decision would be made in the fall based on the amount of work I have.

If I get a plow on my truck, I'm not going to sell the plow it after a year. My current plan is to purchase a nice 3/4 or 1 ton next year for a second/landscape truck, and keep my truck for the lawn side and a snow backup. I don't plan on ever selling the truck, just because once paid off it will make a nice maint/irrigation truck in the future, so I just want to run it till it can't be ran anymore. The warranty scares me, but it's almost a damned if I do and damned if I don't, and it's not like I have money to be throwing around. I'd like to find a used plow however most I see are too heavy for my truck really. I went to my lawn dealer today and talked about it, I think if I do I'm going with a Boss Sport Duty. Their pretty light and would be better on my truck. I've thought about Western but no dealers around me. My problem is I just don't have the extra money to get a second truck right now with all the extra expenses it would bring such as insurance, etc. I think with some suspension aids and great caution the truck should be okay.