Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with mick on this one. On a hillside the deck naturally swings up on the bottom and the top would slightly lower. But I see the lower part of the deck cut be lower in real life. Its due to tire roll. The mower rolls on the side wall of the tire, more roll with lower psi. I run 8psi on a 24x12x12 tire and have the issue and just need to be aware when mowing that it happens.

Bump the tire pressure up to 25psi and it limits the roll greatly. Guessing older the tire the more flex in the sidewall and more roll occurs. It would be interesting to see different mfg's tires have different sidewall stiffnesses to correct this. The stiffer the sidewall the rougher the ride though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know a lot of guys just stick their gauge wheels in the top hole and leave them there. I actually use mine in the correct position for the height I cut at (3.5"), and they eliminate any terracing while side hilling. I do have them front and back though. Not so sure how much just front wjeels would help there.

MJB- my Z950 seems to have about 1/2" of side to side sway. The way Deere mounted the deck hangars on the hangar link bolts makes them tend to stay fairly centered with little lateral sway.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Tommy I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I appreciate the feedback my tires are getting older and the sidewalls could be weaker and 13 psi may not be enough.

Also now that I think about it my scalp rollers are in the right hole but they got a million miles on them and so they are very sloppy and should be replaced.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong