Register free!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Empire Zoysia - Nutsedge control

I have maintained lawns commercially for several years. The last few operating as my own business. I decided to finish my degree and sold my business last fall.

I have used Sedgehammer in the past with great results on Zoysia (Emerald, Meyer) and Bermuda (mainly Tif 419) . I did not maintain many yards with Empire Zoysia, nor centipede, St. Augustine.

My Empire Zoysia had a few patches of purple nutsedge and used Sedgehammer late last fall and worked very well. This spring the areas I treated were very thin and a small patch of nutsedge has resprouted. I did some research and some people have had thinning problems after using sedgehammer on Empire. Using labelled rates.

I checked for fungus/insect damage and none was found. I routinely apply Imidacloprid to shrubs and to the turf. I also used T-storm this spring as a preventative after I noticed the thin spots.

I top dressed the entire yard and once the air temps hit around 85* and I fertilized the yard took off and has filled in well. The thinned spots are roughly 80% filled in now.

I'm not going to treat the Nutsedge until the yard repairs itself, I am hoping by the end of July.

And before anyone ask. I have several packs of sedgehammer 1 gallon dis-solvable mix packs. I used one pack to one gallon as directions indicated. I used my measuring wheel and it was approximately 750 sq ft. I had roughly 1/3 gallon left over and applied the rest to my back yard. (Bermuda) The bermuda did not suffer any ill results.

I have a gallon of MSMA, I bought right around the time it became banned, Speedzone Southern, Q4, access to Drive and a few more packs of Sedgehammer.

But is there any nutsedge treatment for Empire Zoysia with no ill side effects?

* Sorry for long post, on public forums I feel the need to explain myself thoroughly so there is no confusion of background and experience.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I use certainty on all types of zoysia and have no problems. It's expensive, but you'll have good results. I would not recommend using any of the other products you have listed. This time of year MSMA will burn the zoysia, Drive is no match on nutsedge, Q4 is just the sister of MSMA, wrong time of year for speedzone on zoysia(it will burn it as well) and you know the results of sedgehammer
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of giving Certainty a go. I don't intend on using for a couple of months.

I use the MSMA and speedzone for the bermuda in the back. I've never tried the MSMA on the Empire. I used the speedzone last winter since I didn't get the Pre-M down in time. Poa Annua was horrible in Augusta this year, so I used granular atrazine in January, which worked very well.

In short, I'm not spraying anything until the yard is 100%. And it is close except I am retentive about the yard. Next house gets Tif 419 since its bulletproof in my experience.