Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that having these features available is always good. The speed sensitive ride control is not one of them. Having the ability activate or deactivate at the operators choosing is better. Speed does not always dictate when RC is appropriate.

We are now seeing some of the other benefits of EH some as tool positioning, and auto level up and down. Neither of these are necessary or may not even be helpful (I never use my auto leveling) but with EH its relatively easy to do.

I am of course biased but the CNH cab I find much more thought out that the CAT cab. The fine wire makes for better visibility, placing the air intake behind the cab is better, AC is stronger, easily pulling out the windows and putting them back is a big plus. I give CAT credit for making a better cab a priority, but it is no longer the standard.

I have never had much of an issue grading with torsion, I had it on my VTS and the 279C had it, the increased comfort would likely be worth adjusting to the "weirdness" of the torsion system.

Hopefully CAT has put a pattern changer in all machines regardless of whether it is equipped with AMICS or not. That was bs in the C series. A pattern changer is no charge with CNH. I also would hope they found the solution to the C series death wobble.

I have not actually ran a D series yet but I look forward to it.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
You forgot one bonus about Cat.

They didn't sell out to the Koreans.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is true. All D series are made entirely in NC and CAT will also be building all of their excavators from 3.5t and up in the US by the end of the year. No more built in Japan.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I agree that having these features available is always good. The speed sensitive ride control is not one of them. Having the ability activate or deactivate at the operators choosing is better. Speed does not always dictate when RC is appropriate.
Shane...you can still activate or deactivate at your convenience, but you can also program it to shut off and on at say under 1mph when you go to dig or load.

I'm also curious to see what changes they've made over the C series.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

We had the problem with the jerky controls on our 299d when we first got it. I took it back to cat and they re calibrated the controls for me, the beast is supper smooth now. I have not had any problems with fuel consumption we work it at wide open and it does not drink the fuel. The torsion axles do not cause any problems grading, there is no difference from how my 287b and my 289 graded super smooth. The rear visibility is not grate but I got used to that aspect.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Y'all are nuts, complaining about the torsion system hindering grading. Real operators don't complain, they adapt.
I've owned 1 and ran 2 large frame units and never had any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
100% agreed
I have used various large frame Cat track machines in many different applications....just using a different brand of machine will need some minutes to adapt.
It will just boil down like mentioned in previous threads...each to his own preference.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive ran all of the large frame ctls currently on the market except for the new case. They all have there quirks but as a owner operator the machine I chose to seat my butt in every day was the 289c. In my opinion there is not a more comfortable machine to run. The taki would be my choice if i owned a rental fleet but no way in hell i personally would want to run one everyday. 350 hrs on my 289 now and probably half of that mulching in pretty tuff socal terrain. Ive thrown one track on the side of a moutain while side tracking over a fallen tree. Was complete operator error and it will never happen again. Those that say track derailment on these machines is not operator error are completely off base.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Which mulcher are you running on your machine ?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hm315 and br378
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The HM 315 is a repainted FAE correct ? How do you like it ? Any major problems ? How does your 289c do with it ?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

yes the 315 is a fae head. it runs it good my only complaint I would have is mulching up steep slopes. It can be tuff to get enough power to the tracks while keeping the head spining and mulching. Other then that no complaints. It has a ton of power and produces a very nice finished product. I do find myself using the br378 deck mower a lot more then 315. most of our stuff here is 4" minus and the 378 blows threw it quickly the 315 is designed or heavier woody stuff.