Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

tree climber

wondering how much to pay a climber I have been training for 2 years we don't climb that many trees more landscaping and mowing but he is demanding to get a huge raise for climbing. I still have to supervise anything but the simplest of trees and provide all equipment.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's the problem with training a climber,,, if he was paying you for training and providing his own business expenses then he'd be worth more than the ground crew and an asset to the business...
Once he's able to go along on his own , that is probably what he'll eventually do... does he pay for his own insurance??? maybe make him a sub-contactor and bring him in for the hard issue trees...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

when we do cut trees it puts him into overtime at almost $20 I think this is good for someone with his experience. from a little looking online its way more than he would get elsewhere.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That should work out fine then... it's like a bonus for doing specialty work...
From a business POV, it is always good to consider what it would mean to lose the guy...

I have lost vatious help over the years and it seemed that I did fine w/out them overall, but it was great to have someone to rely upon ,,, in a pinch...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I started in the tree biz a year ago been climbing for ~4 months now I got 16 on hire and a $1 raise for getting my CDL so 17 per on straight time and 25.50 on anything over 40 in a week. My company provides everything for work other than my shoes, socks, and underwear and lunch.

"Close to 20/hr" on OT seems low for a climber IMO but pay for a climber varies widely based on area.

But that being said if he's only doing landscaping type work most days I can't see climber pay for running a ZTR or spreading mulch.

Seems to me like you ought to let him walk if he wants and get a climber for hire when you need one. Just my $.02