Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you have your kids help you?

My daughter wants to help me service my clients lawns, I took her out with me yesterday and got a few lawns done. And all she did was complain about how hard the work is! She is 28 years old and her 49 year old dad works harder. I took my son with me a few weeks ago and the same thing!! What is it with this younger generation? Want payed but not work for it? I now they will get faster with time and experience but how long will that take? Also my daughter and I ways talking about getting new clients and she said advertise that you have girls in bathing suits mow and trim and she can get some of her friends to work for me. WTH?? Not my cup of tea there! I'm in business to make money but not a side show!! Kids are weird!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When my son turned 13, I started taking him to work with me during his summer break. He's pretty good with a zero, so some days I would stick him on a zero. Other days, I'd have him doing grout work on a crew doing a stone patio. I paid him $5.00 per hour that first summer and had him work about 2 to 3 days a week just so he could get a taste for the real world and earn a little money. With the money he earned, he was allowed to spend it on whatever he wanted. His mother was all for it because we both believed it was better than him sitting at home all summer playing video games. We've continued doing the same thing every summer since. My son is now 15. I'm paying him $7.00 per hour this year ($1.00 raise every year) and he's working 4 days a week. I've noticed this year, he's starting to become a man. In the past, he was barely worth what I was paying him - it was more about just giving him something to do instead of sitting on his a$$. He doesn't complain anymore about the job I give him. He tries to just work through it and get it done. I'm very proud of him for that but, at the same time, it makes me kind of sad because I know my little boy is starting to fade away and he's being replaced by a young man. Some days, I don't put him with a crew, I just keep him in the truck with me. We'll ride around the jobs taking care of small tasks like applying pre-emergent in planting beds or repairing a clients gate that's coming off the hinges. I love having him with me.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I actually pay my 12 year old son to mow with my TimeMaster 30 here at the home lawn which is not small. As of yet he has never finished.....

When I was his age I was basically forced to mow with a push reel mower. Canvas grass catcher with a galvanized bottom and the hook.

Even back then collecting clippings never made sense...? Asked my dad on many occasions ....um....how about if we mow more often and forget this filling up numerous barrels full of clippings futility drill.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 12 and 9 yr old boys. They mow about 3 acres here at house with the 997. I think they are still young. Next year start them out a couple of short easy days. Hope they take a liking to the business. I guess time will tell
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I put my son on a zero turn when he was 10, bought him a curved shaft Echo trimmer. Last year he cut about 80% of the grass. This year he's 16 and cuts all the grass.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 19 year old son and a 17 year old son that help me. I pay them $10 per hour and usually pay them extra for some of the huge yards that take several hours. The 19 year old doesnt help as much anymore because he is in college. I have the 17 year old for one more season then he is off to college. After that I will have to hire someone I guess. My boys do a great job though and I never here them complain but then again they actually like mowing.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I really think if your in a legit business you need to follow the law. Regardless of what a home owner may agree to. Here is a short take to consider.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets wage, hours worked, and safety requirements for minors (individuals under age 18) working in jobs covered by the statute. The rules vary depending upon the particular age of the minor and the particular job involved. As a general rule, the FLSA sets 14 years of age as the minimum age for employment, and limits the number of hours worked by minors under the age of 16.

Also, the FLSA generally prohibits the employment of a minor in work declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor (for example, work involving excavation, driving, and the operation of many types of power-driven equipment).

Just Saying!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My 24 year old son works with me everyday and works hard. He has an engineering degree and wants to utilize it after this season. Hate to lose him but I understand. This can be a tough business and counting on it to pay your bills year in, year out is a gamble. I'm fortunate to have healthy retirement so the business just keeps me busy and the extra money isn't bad either.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I too have had my son helping me for some time now and he has become a well rounded, knowledgeable lawn care pro. He's 20 now and has been part of the crew (2 of us..lol) since he was able to keep the seat switch engaged on the Z-Turn. He does most of the yards we have now since he's in college and can make his own schedule. When he was younger, I paid him $8 per yard and we could average 2 yards per hour easily. Not to bad for a kid in middle school. Now he's making about $600 a week in 20 hours. I have never had a customer complaint and some customers are +15 years retained.
He goes the extra mile when neighbors of clients ask for service or advice. He's been pulling a trailer since he's had his learners permit and I trust him with pulling thousands in equipment. Not patting myself on the back but I think he'll do alright in the future. More than I can say about some of the kids out there these days. Can't complain much. Now all I have to do is ride occasionally when the rain gets him behind. Love my boy!!!
Honda HRB217 21" Self Propelled Hydrostatic
Ryan LawnAire 28 Core Aerator
Stihl HS80 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HT101 Limb Saw
Stihl FS110 Trimmer
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl HL 135° Hedge Trimmer Attachment
Echo SRM260S Trimmer
Stihl BR600 Magnum Blower
Stihl BR420 Magnum Blower
Echo Backpack Sprayer
Shindaiwa RS60 Spreader
And the best employee in the business...My Son!!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
When my son turned 13, I started taking him to work with me during his summer break. He's pretty good with a zero, so some days I would stick him on a zero. Other days, I'd have him doing grout work on a crew doing a stone patio. I paid him $5.00 per hour that first summer and had him work about 2 to 3 days a week just so he could get a taste for the real world and earn a little money. With the money he earned, he was allowed to spend it on whatever he wanted. His mother was all for it because we both believed it was better than him sitting at home all summer playing video games. We've continued doing the same thing every summer since. My son is now 15. I'm paying him $7.00 per hour this year ($1.00 raise every year) and he's working 4 days a week. I've noticed this year, he's starting to become a man. In the past, he was barely worth what I was paying him - it was more about just giving him something to do instead of sitting on his a$$. He doesn't complain anymore about the job I give him. He tries to just work through it and get it done. I'm very proud of him for that but, at the same time, it makes me kind of sad because I know my little boy is starting to fade away and he's being replaced by a young man. Some days, I don't put him with a crew, I just keep him in the truck with me. We'll ride around the jobs taking care of small tasks like applying pre-emergent in planting beds or repairing a clients gate that's coming off the hinges. I love having him with me.
You need to save what your wrote here and put this in a card for him for his high school or college graduation, or something like that. Or maybe even when he's a little older. I'm sure he'll appreciate it when he's a little older.

Keep raising him like this because the failure to do so is the reason that most kids don't like to work today.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts